Purchasing espresso equipment from outside the US

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bluedog2903

#1: Post by Bluedog2903 »

I am about to buy a Londinium. I got close to hitting the button the other night then stumbled across a post referring to unexpected issues with paypal exchange rates.

Is there a recommended way to handle the purchase that will get the best bang for the literal buck. Any tips welcome regarding exchange rate strategies, taxes, import duties, shipping. Are some credit cards better than others? Better to send a check?

Trying to avoid surprises.

Many thanks

Tom

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Paypal uses their own exchange rates which are typically higher (in their favor). A bank transfer is an option depending on your bank. Some charge a fee, some don't. Credit card companies usually add fees for overseas purchases. The delivery company (UPS/Fed Ex) will bill you after delivery for Custom's fees & duties.
LMWDP 267

Bluedog2903 (original poster)

#3: Post by Bluedog2903 (original poster) »

Thanks.

Been researching. What a racket.

Looks like american express is the fairest on the rate. If the merchant takes it. Unfortunately, Londinium doesn't.

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

Bluedog2903 wrote:Been researching. What a racket.
Maybe not. Maybe too much researching. You wouldn't be the first on H-B.

Have you communicated with Londinium? Since they list their prices in USD on their site, including in the cart, it seems likely they charge the published amount.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Bluedog2903 (original poster)

#5: Post by Bluedog2903 (original poster) »

That currency link doesnt work on my ipad. I got on a real computer and it is fine. That helps. Thanks!

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

Bluedog2903 wrote:Thanks!
Great!

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

Bluedog2903 wrote:Thanks.

Been researching. What a racket.

Looks like american express is the fairest on the rate. If the merchant takes it. Unfortunately, Londinium doesn't.
FWIW, Chase Canada VISA cards do not charge the 2.5% exchange premium that everyone else seems to.

There may be something similar where you are...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

Some CC companies charge the vendor quite a bit, that may explain why some of them do not take all cards...does not really help you but still.
Within the EU a bank transfer typically is the cheapest solution, would suggest you contact Londinium to work out the best way.
LMWDP #483