Purchase suggestions for lever espresso machine with $1000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DWardCA

#1: Post by DWardCA »

Hi All.

I'm planning to purchase my first major espresso machine in March, and I think I want to go with a lever machine. Most of the reviews and suggestions I have found on the web are over 5 years old, so I thought I'd drop a forum post here asking if someone knowledgeable could explain which models would be recommendable and why. I want as much control over the process as possible. For example, I read that spring loaded piston machines don't let you vary the rate of flow - so I'd probably not want to go with that.

Right now I'm using a MyPressi, and Bellman stovetop steamer. I have a Pharos hand grinder. Whatever machine I get, I'd like the ability to use the steamer for making back-to-back coffees without having to wait. I'd also rather prefer a quality product that can be cleaned thoroughly and repaired. My price range is around $1000 .. but if its truly worth it, I am willing to go up to $2500.

EDIT:

#1 Back-to-Back coffees means making two double-shots each morning (wife and I). We don't entertain guests much so having to wait a few minutes between doing the other shots is not an issue. I should also point out that my concerns are two fold. First, with the group head overheating with successive shots, and second, with the steam tank having enough umph for steaming two milks if necessary without requiring a recharge.

#2 The moderator added the "with $1000 budget" into the subject line. I'm afraid this placed more emphasis on the $1000 than intended. Let me phrase it this way: I see espresso machines ranging from $50 to $1000 quite commonly. I came up with the $1000, while keeping that fact in mind. So therefore you can deduce that I am looking for a higher quality machine. Upon writing that, I realized that I had absolutely no idea how much lever machines really go for - so I added in the $2500 comment. In truth, even the $2500 is flexible.

Thanks in advance.

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

Thats a bit of a tall order. By nature a steamer runs too hot to make espresso. How many drinks are you planning to make in one sitting? That will narrow it down.
LMWDP #366

jfrescki

#3: Post by jfrescki »

DWardCA wrote:For example, I read that spring loaded piston machines don't let you vary the rate of flow - so I'd probably not want to go with that.
Not true if you retard the lever during extraction. Read and watch Jim Schulman review the Bezzera Strega, and the pressure profiling possibilities it provides.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

WSH

#4: Post by WSH »

......... use the steamer for making back-to-back coffees without having to wait.
Do you mean steaming milk to add to your coffee?
My price range is around $1000 .............
New? La Pavoni or Ponte Vecchio. I chose the La Pav Pro mostly because I wanted the larger boiler and a pressure gauge. The Europiccola is a fine choice too however. Many like the economic Ponte Vecchio but I have no experience with them.

If your not in a hurry and will entertain a used machine, the sky is the limit on what you may be able to score on the cheap from Thrift shops, Garbage Sales, etc,etc,.........
......... but if its truly worth it, I am willing to go up to $2500.
I plan on keeping my Pavoni, at least for a while, but I just purchased a Bezzera Strega. $1899 US for the Switchable, Tank/Direct Connect model.

Search the forums, there is plenty of new information on the Strega and the Pavoni has been around forever.

prof_stack

#5: Post by prof_stack »

DWardCA wrote:Hi All.

I'm planning to purchase my first major espresso machine in March, and I think I want to go with a lever machine. ... My price range is around $1000 .. but if its truly worth it, I am willing to go up to $2500.

Thanks in advance.
You can get a new Ponte Vecchio Lusso for less than $900 at The Good Coffee Company in Seattle. They don't have a website.

A TWO-group Lusso for ~$1200 can be had at Vaneli's. They have a website.

I'm more than happy with my new Lusso. Temperature stability is great. I leave it on and it's ready for the next shot. Yesterday's espresso's were the best I've had at home, now that I'm getting the grind and tamp dialed in. Steaming milk is fast.

Good luck in your hunting!
LMWDP #010

JmanEspresso

#6: Post by JmanEspresso »

BEat me too it. Was just about the say, the PV Lusso should fit the bill nicely. Might even be able to stretch for the two group if its worth it for your drink making habits.

RAS

#7: Post by RAS »

Another vote for the Lusso. Besides it, I also own a tricked-out Europiccola (wedding present so it ain't going anywhere, but it's the most challenging machine I have to use), and a restored Cremina. The Cremina is a classic, but the Lusso is more convenient to use because of the spring. While the spring is doing its thing (pushing water through the puck), I can be getting a pitcher ready to steam milk, or something else. And as far as the presumed lack of ability to control flow rate, it is true that you can resist the lever's spring-action to get the flow you want. I do this all the time if I do a second pull for a cappuccino.

One absolute consideration is whether or not you like an intense, low-volume shot. That's a Ponte Vecchio's sweet-spot. I do have to admit that I'm not a big ristretto fan, and for a straight-up shot, I prefer the Cremina. For my morning drinks (cappuccinos and Americanos), it's fantastic.
Bob

pacificmanitou

#8: Post by pacificmanitou »

My thoughts also went straight to the lusso, as it is the only pressurized boiler lever that I know of with a stable group.
LMWDP #366

Eastsideloco

#9: Post by Eastsideloco »

DWardCA wrote: I'd also rather prefer a quality product that can be cleaned thoroughly and repaired. My price range is around $1000..
I recently took a Cremina apart and put it back together with new gaskets and seals. It's very user-friendly machine in this regard, especially since Orphan Espresso has 40+ YouTube videos to walk you through the process. It pulls good shots. Thermal management has not been an issue for me. However, I don't often pull more than two shots at a time, and I would use my HX if I did. I also use my HX for milk drinks as the single boiler machine seems more difficult to steam milk with (plus the HX accommodates higher doses). I'm pretty good at steaming milk on my HX, but I felt like I was flailing at the pinata the one time I tried steaming milk with the Cremina. I'm sure the Cremina is capable, but it must take some practice to master the routine.

The Lusso sounds sweet, especially the 2-group option. Even if you only need the extra group a few times a year, that's might be worth the extra money over the life of the machine. Plus you spread out the wear and tear across two groups.

(PS: A new Bezzera Strega got posted on the "electronic Bay" today.)

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

pacificmanitou wrote:My thoughts also went straight to the lusso, as it is the only pressurized boiler lever that I know of with a stable group.
An Elektra Microcasa a Leva with a Teflon gasket installed between the group and the boiler is very stable and has abundant steam power. With this machine I can knock out shot after shot and can steam while the shots are pulling. You can score a used one for under $1k. Also some of us have added a booster spring, but the stock machine has wonderful layering of flavors that you trade off for more crema and a richer drink with the extra spring. Boiler capacity is larger than the La Pavoni Europiccolas I own. The Elektra looks great too, and it's not hard to get creative with the dome ornament. The chrome version is better for durability.

I borrowed this machine and it sent me in search for the brass and copper one I got and gently modded.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!