Purchase dilemma: Rocket Cellini Evoluzione V2 or Londinium

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dolitsky

#1: Post by dolitsky »

Yes I know they are very different.

I had settled on a VBM Domobar DB v4 then I discovered levers and manual control they offer, I like that. So I have been contemplating the Londinium I and this is the dilemma....

I came across a lightly used Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2 (comes w/ bottomless PF, cleaning grinds, and Eric's group thermo installed) all for about $1700.

I know they are quite different but for the price differential would it be prudent to snag the Rocket.

Very curious to hear what others would do in a similar situation?

I have a Rocky and looking at a Super Jolly

Doug

deity6667

#2: Post by deity6667 »

I would get the L1 and I think you should get which one you want! Get the one you want to wake up to, the one which will make you smile when you look at her. :D

I use a Rocket at work and have never really been impressed with is steam power or its recovery compared to my VBM Super at home.

p.s don't forget a grinder if you haven got one (and make it a good one)

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Get the Rocket and go for a refurbed Baratza Preciso from Baratza themselves.

Exactly where on the north shore of LI are you?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

dolitsky (original poster)

#4: Post by dolitsky (original poster) »

Hey Eric-

I live in a town called Sea Cliff... Very small, very Victorian, The next bigger town over is Glen Cove.

Funny on the Baratza Preciso I have one of those at my school (teacher) when it was called Solis. I use it w/ my press pot. At home I use my modded Rocky w/ a siphon and my P.O.S. SAECO espresso machine.

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

I agree with Quinn and disagree with Eric.

Rich's Rule of Tools and Hobbys:
Spend a lot on what you really want and you'll regret it 'til your next paycheck, save a lot on something you don't want and you'll regret it as long as you own it.

Espresso at home is an aesthetic pursuit, and a "cost effectiveness analysis" simply doesn't apply. If you want a Londinium, buy one. The last thing you want is an espresso machine sitting on your counter calling you "Chooch!" while you wonder what might have been. That's not a $400 savings, it's a $1700 life-time supply of self flagellation.

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER
Also, the Preciso is not nearly enough grinder for a good prosumer HX and certainly not for the L1. It's merely adequate -- a good companion for a Silvia but nothing much better. Both the Evo and L1 are capable of backing the best grinders on the market. If you go less than the Vario you're severely limiting quality in the cup, and even the Vario is nowhere nearly as good as you can get.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

russel

#6: Post by russel »

I don't think $1700 is a must buy deal on a Cellini.

If spring lever control is what you're after and you're interested in some savings, why not look into one of the Strega configuration?
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC replying to russel »

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you wrote, but there isn't a Strega available anywhere new for $1700. $2100 (+ more for the switchable, when you can find it in stock). Where's the savings?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

These machines are night and day.
Are you a morning person or a night owl?

Or if you're like me you're both and do not sleep because you drink way too much coffee and have 5 machines each with their own grinder eating up your wife's counter space and the only reason she puts up with it is because you make the best damn coffee she's ever had. lol OKAY I digress

Get the L1. If you get sick of it you can sell it to me at a discount. :lol:
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

malling

#9: Post by malling »

A pump driven Hx vs A lever, I defiantly know what I would choose, if money and space where not an issue.

From brand new, there is a 1300€ difference between those two (in the EU), so in anorher country, a top notch grinder might be a better idea then to use All the money on a londinium. Fortunately for you, you don't have to pay the extra 20% or so extra in VAT, so the difference would be allot less, but for the money saved, you could use the money on a barista cause or a better grinder.

Although I in principle agree with the statements above, that you should buy the machine you desiré the most. you should still not forget, that a grinder is far more importent then the machine it self. Buttom Line is a SJ is okay grinder, but it's not a Mythos, k30, ek43 or a Big conical.

It's the most common mistake to spend most of the budget on the machine

nickw

#10: Post by nickw »

Agreed. Night and day difference....
- Pass on the Rocket (not that great of price anyways...)
- Get the L1 instead (or a Strega as TomC said).

Re grinder:
As you mention, you'll also need to upgrade your grinder. A SJ is probably the minimum you'd want. I'd rather have a great grinder and okay espresso machine, than great espresso machine and okay grinder. With espresso, the grinder matters -a lot! :) If you're on a budget and want something good and don't mind hand grinding, I'd recommend an OE Pharos, or HG One.