Profitec Pro 700 vs. Quick Mill Vetrano 2B - Questions - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
neutro

#31: Post by neutro »

Just to clarify, I'm not critiquing the QM V2B nor any other machine -- I'm not in a position to, since I've never even owned and not even operated a DB machine before, nor do I ever owned a QuickMill or any of the brands I've mentioned.

I just wanted to offer my point of view as someone who has spent the last summer analyzing and double-checking all the info I could find on the topic. In the end, I'm pretty sure the QMV2B is an awesome machine -- and most of the machines on my watch list probably are, too.

I've read somewhere it's like choosing between a top-of-the-line Audi or a top-of-the-line BMW -- we can argue endlessly about small details and personal preferences (which is kind of fun) but in the end both certainly are good buys for the money.

But you've got to admit that shot timer is just too awesome :mrgreen:

brianl

#32: Post by brianl »

I'll keep the Batista lights :). Does the profitec have them?

Advertisement
artcien

#33: Post by artcien »

neutro wrote: I did ask Profitec a question about the machine's dimensions and they answered very quickly, which is at least a good sign.
Wow, you're lucky. I sent profitec an email over 2 weeks ago regarding my problems with a brand new machine that never worked and I'm still waiting for an answer. I also posted a comment on their Facebook page, no answer there either.

neutro

#34: Post by neutro »

brianl wrote:I'll keep the Batista lights :). Does the profitec have them?
Ha! In fact the barista lights on the La Spaziale S1 Dream were a very attractive feature to me. Are the blue leds on the QMV2B what you call the barista lights? Or are there other light sources incorporated closer to the group?
artcien wrote:Wow, you're lucky. I sent profitec an email over 2 weeks ago regarding my problems with a brand new machine that never worked and I'm still waiting for an answer. I also posted a comment on their Facebook page, no answer there either.
I may be lucky; you may be exceptionally unlucky too. Your case isn't resolved yet? I thought you sent back the machine and settled on another model. If somethings like this happens to me I'll just return the machine to IDC and perhaps switch to my second choice. Or the QMV2B, who knows ;)

I'd be really surprised, given the specs of most DB machines between $2600 and $3000, that one would perform significantly better than another at the basic task of preparing coffee-based drinks.

Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#35: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) »

Got another follow-up from WLL, explaining a little more this time:

"Hi Joe,

This bounced around a bit, so I apologize for the delayed response. The short answer to your question is an unfortunate "No" to using the simultaneous heating function. The reason for this is not just due to the heating element configuration as you suspected, but also due to the power harness being rigged for a 15 amp peak draw such that the machine can be used in all standard home outlets. In order to use simultaneous heating, the machine would need to be equipped for a peak draw of 20 amps, and would require a 20 amp plug and a matching socket on the wall. In our practice with an early 20A prototype, the machine drew roughly 20.5A on a 120V outlet (though this was using a different set of heating elements).

All of that said, we did work with the manufacturer to revise the heating sequence to bring it to brew-ready temp sooner than early units. I'll check into the new settings to see if they can be applied to your unit, or if it contains the revised configuration already.

Thank you
Andrew
Whole Latte Love Support"

artcien

#36: Post by artcien »

neutro wrote:I thought you sent back the machine and settled on another model. If somethings like this happens to me I'll just return the machine to IDC and perhaps switch to my second choice. Or the QMV2B, who knows
I did, and my second choice was the QMV2B, however WLL does not carry it, so I went for the Alex Duetto III, which now has a defective gauge, it's just a minor thing, and is very slowly being solved.

I have never had the chance to brew one espresso with the Pro 700, nor I have ever even seen the QMV2B, but with that been said, I'm now glad that I switch the Pro 700 for the Duetto. This machine is build like a tank, the frame is also S/S, the drain is plumbable, uses less electricity, can be hook to 20 amps, the brew boiler is not S/S (desirable to me due to bacteria growth), and the steam pressure is more than adequate for any level of home use (I just don't get why some people are having problems getting microfoam at all). I am very happy with the Duetto III.

neutro

#37: Post by neutro »

artcien wrote:I did, and my second choice was the QMV2B, however WLL does not carry it, so I went for the Alex Duetto III, which now has a defective gauge, it's just a minor thing, and is very slowly being solved.
Gosh, you *are* indeed unlucky -- I hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction as soon as possible.
This machine is build like a tank
Most are in this price range... but I realized quite late in my shopping that my kitchen cabinets are a mere 16.25" over my counter top -- and I have cabinets everywhere. Most machines are 16.5" high which is incredibly frustrating. In the case of the Alex Duetto, the case itself is slanted and I'm not sure if the 16.5" figure includes the cup rail. The QMV2B seems to be 16.5" without any rail. The Pro 700 is 16.5" including the tray + rails, but that can be removed and that's the plan for the moment unless I want to sand off a quarter of an inch out of my kitchen cabinets :D I think the R58 fit well too, as would the La Spaziale. Not sure but I think the Vibiemme Double Domobar wouldn't fit at all.

So in the case of the Alex Duetto III, the size and the added cost (for me it's $260 more than the Pro 700 and busts the last revision of my budget) means it didn't made the cut. However, it's looks like an awesome machine for sure. I never repaired an espresso machine and don't know much about them but looking at the inside of both the Pro 700 and IADIII, they look much less cluttered than the QMV2B. However perhaps the clutter in the QMV2B is just an impression because stuff has been located for easier access without having to open up panels.

I for one don't care much about 20-amps operation (I've never seen a 20-amp socket installed in any residence in my region). The fact that the drip tray isn't plumbable in the Pro 700 is a bit of a letdown. However in my particular case, my sink's drain is all-copper and I'd have to ask a plumber to install a Y for the espresso machine. Furthermore, it seems to me that if you want to actually wash the drip tray, you have to disconnect it from the drain? That'd be a hassle unless the flow of hot water keeps the drain quite clean anyway. I guess it could be relatively easy to mod the Pro 700's drip tray to be drainable if I really want this after all.

Advertisement
malling

#38: Post by malling »

the Vetrano 2B is fortunately not as cluttered in real life, as the impression you'll get from the pictures. And it's mostly down to the wiring not being as neatly done, as profited 700 or the Duetto, but these machine dos have less components and switches, so even these machines would have faced similar problems, if they had chosen solenoid valves instead of manual.

Certain repair jobs could be a potential nightmare on the Duetto, it's very cramped compared to similar specs machines. You do get easy access to most components on the vetrano, the profited 700 and R58, only the tubes on the brew boiler on the Vetrano is a bit difficult to reach.

But you do need to open up the back panel on the vetrano, and remove the water tank holder to get access, if you want access to anything else but the pump head adjustment screw, drain plugs and heating elements.

But with the knowledge I have now, I'll would not advice anyone who are not able of doing basic repair jobs themselves, to buy any other Machines then the Duetto or vibiemme. There has simply been reported to many issues with the profited 700 like the dead machine issue, and just recently the Vetrano 2b has begun to suffer from problems related to their new boilers.

so k

artcien

#39: Post by artcien »

neutro wrote:I realized quite late in my shopping that my kitchen cabinets are a mere 16.25" over my counter top -- and I have cabinets everywhere. Most machines are 16.5" high which is incredibly frustrating. In the case of the Alex Duetto, the case itself is slanted and I'm not sure if the 16.5" figure includes the cup rail. The QMV2B seems to be 16.5" without any rail. The Pro 700 is 16.5" including the tray + rails,
... and you're saying that I'm unlucky? :shock:

I want to sand off a quarter of an inch out of my kitchen cabinets
Very, very tight. You should then, take a hard look at the Duetto for the following reasons:

1. I just measured it and indeed the machine WITH the cup tray measures 16.5" but if you remove the cup tray then is 15.75"

2. Having such a super tight space on the top will most likely cause the Pro 700 to operate with little or no ventilation, the heat on that machine only dissipates through the top of it. The Duetto is designed different, the side panels have double walls, the inside of the walls are perforated all around giving the machine a lot more air flow.

3. The Duetto's feet are 1.5" tall. You could design smaller feet, they screw in, maybe made out of wood or just painted black so the look good. I do not know about the Pro 700 because it comes with the feet attached, may be same there.

neutro

#40: Post by neutro »

1. I just measured it and indeed the machine WITH the cup tray measures 16.5" but if you remove the cup tray then is 15.75"
So it's exactly as the Pro 700 then -- 420 mm with the tray, 400 mm without. The IAD3 having an angled enclosure it seemed to me that the back of the machine was almost at the same height as the cup rail though.
The Duetto is designed different, the side panels have double walls, the inside of the walls are perforated all around giving the machine a lot more air flow.
Maybe I dramatized the situation a bit. The actual cabinets are at a more standard 18.5" from the counter top but there is a wooden border underneath to conceal counter top lighting. It once was used to hide fluorescent lights from view, but nowadays there's only slim LED strips underneath. The wooden border is 2" high and perhaps 8" in depth. Thus the machine won't be completely underneath the border, and there will still be 2" clearance for air circulation --- admittedly this is quite low though.

If this doesn't seem to work for any reason I also have a backup plan in which the machine would be in the open but it would prevent me from plumbing-in the machine and it would be far away from the kitchen sink.
3. The Duetto's feet are 1.5" tall. You could design smaller feet, they screw in, maybe made out of wood or just painted black so the look good. I do not know about the Pro 700 because it comes with the feet attached, may be same there.
I really don't know about the Pro 700's feet, and they may be able to be modded -- we'll see. Technically I've already bought the Pro 700 so it's a bit late to change ideas (though I'm pretty sure IDC would let me switch for a more expensive machine :D). At this point though, I still prefer the Pro 700 on paper and will only switch if it'd dead on arrival or something like this. I'm pretty confident I can make it work where I want it. Worst case scenario involves a bit of basic woodworking -- I really don't mind adapting my 60's vintage kitchen to my new luxury item.