Plumbing Cold Water Inlet Pipe: Copper or Plastic?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SomersetDee

#1: Post by SomersetDee »

Hi Everyone,
This is my first question in this forum. I am currently plumbing an extension pipe to bring cold water and a drain to the new spot I am locating my coffee machine in. I want to ask whether I should go for all copper plumbing or if I should go for the plastic variety. Most of the pipe will be coming on the outer wall

Even if I use copper I will be using push fit plastic couplings. Currently I am leaning towards plastic. I am slightly curious if the plastic pipes are likely to impart a taste to the water. If I understand correctly, metal ions and molecules from plastic can influence taste. Certain kinds of plastic even has a smell.

Please advice. I was at the plumbing supplies shop an hour ago, and I panicked and stopped the purchase. I told them that I will finish the purchase tomorrow after I have asked around a bit more!

thanks
Dee

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

How long of a run is it?
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
damonbowe

#3: Post by damonbowe replying to JohnB. »

Why does this matter? I want to learn more about plumbing, too!

cygnusx1

#4: Post by cygnusx1 »

Dee welcome to the forum.

IMHO, any pipe material will effect the taste of the water if the water has been standing in it for a period of time. What that time period is, I don't know. If you don't directly plumb your device then run the water through for a few minutes. If you have public water service, you're at the mercy of how they store and deliver the water to your domicile anyway.

If you're looking at cost and ease of installation, PVC (plastic) would be the pick because it's fairly forgiving in how it's assembled. Copper is an expensive material, but is still considered an 'upgrade' to PVC. Because I do my own home renovations, copper is my first choice.

SomersetDee (original poster)

#5: Post by SomersetDee (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:How long of a run is it?
Hi John, It will be between 16 to 18 metres. There are a lot of bends along the way. It is going to mostly be along the outer wall of our house and only the last bit will enter inside.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

No concerns with the pipe freezing? If you are running it outside I'd definitely use copper & soldered joints. How do you propose to run the drain line?
LMWDP 267

#7: Post by SomersetDee (original poster) »

cygnusx1 wrote:Dee welcome to the forum.
Thank you cygnusx1 :)

Over the last few years both my wife and I have become more and more entrenched in our pursuit of good coffee. So we are currently upgrading the installation with proper plumbing. I had a bit of panic at the shop today and I thought I could seek the help of this august forum. So thanks for your kind words.

We have three children and the machine is in constant use for hot water and warm milk. Combine that with hot drinks for two adults and guests/visitors to our home-office upstairs, the usage is several litres of hot water and many cups of coffee daily; hence the need for permanent plumbing and drainage outlet. (we don't use a kettle due to safety issues due to children in the house).

Advertisement

#8: Post by SomersetDee (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:No concerns with the pipe freezing? If you are running it outside I'd definitely use copper & soldered joints. How do you propose to run the drain line?
Yes, I will be using PU sheath for insulation from the weather (with a lot of clips). I am doing part of the tedious bit and my professional friend will come and finish off the job. He is not sure which to recommend in terms of metal vs plastic. All he said was that "plastic pipes now-a-days have come a long way and are much better than they used to be".

The drain line is a standard plastic overflow pipe including the joints, trap, all in plastic also.

If I may add, the water is very soft water. Can that affect anything? It looks like I am slowly moving towards the copper and away from plastic after talking with all of you. I am glad I put down the roll of plastic pipe at the shop to have a think.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

SomersetDee wrote:The drain line is a standard plastic overflow pipe including the joints, trap, all in plastic also.
I was wondering how far away the actual drain line that you are tying into is located? Keep in mind that you have to stay within the maximum distance from the drain vent line if the new drain is going to function properly.
LMWDP 267

#10: Post by SomersetDee (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Oh dear, the drain run is also quite a long way away. I can possibly use a nearby storm drain about 3 metres away. This would mean cutting a neat hole in the storm drain pipe. Originally I was planning to run it all the way to the other side 16m away where a proper drain opening/exit is present.