Plumbed hot water solution for tea/coffee

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
damonbowe

#1: Post by damonbowe »

I am building out a new office and I want to have a plumbed hot water solution that runs off my water purification system. I found an old thread on the same topic, but nobody came up with a solution.

Basically, this amounts to a PID'd tap. A Fetco would be great, but I don't want one of those giant things taking up space. I want to have the countertop super clean.

The purpose of the hot tap is for making tea and pour over coffee.

EricBNC

#2: Post by EricBNC »

We have a plumbed in Keurig in our kitchen - it is set for 198 degrees F and we use it for hot water for tea and soup as well as brewing coffee. It is designed for office use so it might be a good fit for you.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

UltramaticOrange

#3: Post by UltramaticOrange »

There are a few companies offering hot water dispensers for your kitchen (like this one). I was going to replace my soap dispenser with one until I realized that they all seem to max out at a paltry 180-190°F.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Make the guy an offer on this and you might make out like a bandit. If you could get it for cheap, it would be a hell of a nice thing to have. It looks pretty clean and compact too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

Id suggest something like that Astra for a small solution. I bought one of these for brewing. While its not plumbed in, it holds water at 208 as long as you'd like. 5 liters is plenty for me, and I can't plumb anyway. Not where I live.
LMWDP #366

damonbowe (original poster)

#6: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

The Marco units seem like an option but they are really big! Anyone have thoughts on those ? Or mod bar?

UltramaticOrange

#7: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Just learned that most of the InSinkErator brand of plumbed hot water dispensers go to 200°F. Not too shabby.

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira replying to UltramaticOrange »

My mother-in-law had one of those or something like that, rectangular box under the sink, and spout mounted to the sink. One day I just filled a cup to have hot water to drink. I never used it after that, from then on I always boiled water in a pot.

No idea how old it was, but that water was foul and I have no idea how you'd clean it.

Ira

UltramaticOrange

#9: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Hrm. Good to know. Any recall on what the taste was like?

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

I don't think at the time I was concerned with identifying the taste, just surprised at how bad it was. It had been there for a while, probably 5 or 10 years but it seems like it's the kind of thing you expect to last that long. It actually might have been a fair amount older than that as I visited that house for 15 years and it was there and working both the first and last time I was there. I assume it was from the scale that must have built up inside, but that's a wild guess at best. Could have been connected to the hot water to help it recover which would have meant it started with a disadvantage.

Ira