Please recommend on-demand grinder with good consistency when single dosing

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
waroros

#1: Post by waroros »

Hi folks,
I'm looking too upgrade my grinder from vario. Right now, Super Jolly-e is on top of my list. I'm looking for only a grind on demand. I always put bean in my hopper only for a few shots I'm gonna pull, to keep the bean fresh. Is having no, or little, bean in the hopper gonna affect grind consistency and amount?

Thank you
Let's get it slayed

bobmccarthy

#2: Post by bobmccarthy »

This is one solution (for Compak), I'm certain there are others appropriate to mazzer.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Short- ... _4742.html

bob

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by uscfroadie »

Place your order on the second batch of HG Ones. You'll have to wait a few months, but man is it worth it. hg-one.com
Merle

jonny

#4: Post by jonny »

Waroros, I use a Mazzer Super Jolly with a canning funnel for a hopper. It holds about 1/2 pound max. Often times, like you, I only have a few shots worth of beans in the grinder. I find that the grind is consistent as long as there is about one shot worth of beans on top of the dose that I am grinding. If I grind that last dose with no beans on top, the grind setting would have to be set finer or else it would extract very quickly. So, what I do is just add one more dose than I am going to use today, and then I am left with one unused dose at the end of the day. Tomorrow, I fill it up again with the same amount. I grind for a few seconds and discard to freshen up the grind chamber. Now my first shot is only about half of the dose that had been sitting in there since yesterday. Honestly, I don't think freshness is compromised after 24 hours in a hopper and I wouldn't mind drinking that entire shot if purging first thing in the morning was a necessity.
As for using the timer, I cannot say how consistent your doses would be as the amount of beans in the hopper decreases. I think someone has tested this somewhere in these forums. I would assume that the last shot would be off and the second to last may be off as well. I like to grind while turning the doser and I stop it when it looks like it is almost to my dose amount. I weigh it and grind a little bit extra to get it exactly the right weight.

P.S. this is the funnel I use for a hopper: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NORPRO-248- ... 0561598108

Bluecold

#5: Post by Bluecold »

uscfroadie wrote:Place your order on the second batch of HG Ones. You'll have to wait a few months, but man is it worth it. hg-one.com
If you don't mind mucking about with water sprays, or happen to live in a tropical area. I'd wait for a V2 in which the static problem is addressed properly.

As for the question. I'd think a Mahlkonig ProM would suit the TS nicely.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

arcus

#6: Post by arcus »

It takes me 5 seconds to add a few drops of water to my beans and the HG one static is gone and grind retention is .1 grams. I'd hardly call that mucking about.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by uscfroadie »

Bluecold wrote:If you don't mind mucking about with water sprays, or happen to live in a tropical area. I'd wait for a V2 in which the static problem is adressed properly.
Sounds like words of someone that has never seen or used one before. Seriously, It takes me all of about a second or two to add two drops of water and it completely solves the static issue.

A lot of the rub on this was from people who have never ever seen one in person let alone tried one. The RDT has solved this issue as far as I'm concerned. No need to try and engineer a "fix" when the RDT works.

Heck I can dose, water drop, grind, load the portafilter, and tamp in the time it took me just to get the grinds out of my Pharos.
Merle

hamish5178

#8: Post by hamish5178 »

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Super Jolly E.

For that matter don't buy a doserless grinder.

jonny

#9: Post by jonny »

For some people, the aversion to additional steps like RDT is about something beyond added time to a routine. Something only those people can quantify and qualify for themselves. Enjoyment from a hobby is about much more than balancing the time:return ratio. Also, RDT in reference to the HG-1 can be discussed independently of ever seeing an HG-1 because a) we know it has static issues from accounts by other users, b) RDT has proven to be the only consistent solution so far, and c) not wanting to do RDT in light of a and b has nothing to do with the user experience of the HG-1 specifically but of any grinder! I too hope that Paul and Craig take another look at the HG-1 soon. I really hope they attempt to address the static issue because RDT, though perfectly fine for a user to employ on their own accord, should not be an acceptable step in normal use of a coffee grinder from a manufacturers perspective. They have done such an incredible job on this grinder that I can't wait to see what they do next!

Sorry to stray a bit from the original post, but it annoys me just a bit when people that advocate steps like RDT argue for it not being an annoyance purely based on the amount of time it takes to perform. Again, there is nothing wrong with these folks and it's not an attack on the technique. It's just that some people don't like steps like this for bigger reasons.

With that said, I am wanting the HG-1 but I will probably wait to see what they do for the version 2 or if they bring out a motorized version. In the meantime I am quite happy with my Super Jolly (doser). To the original poster, I would suggest getting the Super Jolly Electronic from a dealer that accepts returns of used equipment. That way you can try it out for a couple of weeks to see if it is going to serve your needs or not.

Bluecold

#10: Post by Bluecold »

The topic starter would want a on demand grinder. The usage pattern described is walking up, holding the pf under the grinder, tamp and pull. I get that the HG-1 is very much in vogue right now, but I don't see it matching the ts's needs and desires of a grinder. The Pro-m is in my eyes a much more likely candidate.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."