Opinions/Advice on Custom Wood Panels for La Marzocco GS/3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
etout00

#1: Post by etout00 »

I have been looking at commissioning some custom wood panels for my GS/3 and wanted to get some feedback from any owners who have custom wood panels. Even better would be if anyone has any pictures to share of their setup....

I understand that Clive Coffee has a craftsman who makes the panels (only vendor that I know of who advertises them)...I am hoping to get some info from members who have those panels installed or from members who have wood panels from another vendor/craftsmen.

Any opinions and/or pics, info would be much appreciated.

iginfect

#2: Post by iginfect »

Did you ask at Chris Coffee? They may have ideas.

Marvin

Advertisement
etout00 (original poster)

#3: Post by etout00 (original poster) replying to iginfect »

Yes, I called Chris Coffee, they do not deal with any custom panels and didn't have any leads on craftsman or shops that do work other than Clive Coffee.

Unfortunately, besides from Clive Coffee's website there really is no other pics or information on custom wood panels except for a couple of links via a Google search. (There is a couple of links that show wood panels, but nothing with any real detail or info)

If anyone has purchased the wood panels from Clive Coffee or if they have installed some from another vendor please let me know......

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Clive Coffee certainly has the expertise and experience you seek, but another alternative is Espressoparts.com. They are seriously into espresso equipment customization that goes way beyond custom panels. The GS/3 panels should be easy-peasy to customize since they're basically flat slabs. Keep in mind that wood needs significant heat barriers; I believe Clive uses fiberglass inserts (?) to avoid warping.
Dan Kehn

Capitol

#5: Post by Capitol »

I've seen the Clive panels in person at the showroom and was impressed. Very nice fit and finish. Another idea might be to call La Marzocco USA directly and ask them. I spoke w/ them recently and found them to be an EXTREMELY good resource.

etout00 (original poster)

#6: Post by etout00 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies....good to hear people have seen a GS/3 in person with wood sides. Just looking for some members to post some pics of their set up with custom wood sides...just trying to gauge how they'd look other than viewing them on the vendors site.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

I have had a lot of people ask me for wood panels for machines but I do not have the equipment to make them. Most are profiled on the sides (bowed) and it takes a CNC router to machine them to the precision needed unless you want straight flat panels cut from board stock. I keep offering to make a free set to anyone that wants to purchase the $10,000 CNC router to machine them for me. They have to be thick to prevent warping from the heat, 4/4 or 5/4 thick. I still keep thinking about machining a wood case for my elektra but it would look odd with the stainless front.
Dave Stephens