Open box Baratza Vario, too good to be true?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
shingo43

#1: Post by shingo43 »

Hi, I am in Canada and saw the Baratza Vario open box for $400 Can ($360USD) with free shipping.
http://www.zcafe.ca/site/Product.aspx?ID=503
On the website it says

"Brand New Vario, Latest edition, Never used, Only the outside packaging carton slightly blemished. Satisfaction Guaranteed! Full Warranty."

Has any one dealt with zcafe before or has any one even purchased an openbox Vario from them before?

The regular price of Vario is $470 and I know Baratza has a price control.

I've seen that on their website for a couple months so I assume there are more than one unit available.

Should I buy or does it sound too good to be true?

Thanks

vze26m98

#2: Post by vze26m98 »

A refurb Vario from Baratza goes for US360, IIRC.

shingo43 (original poster)

#3: Post by shingo43 (original poster) replying to vze26m98 »

I know, but the one in my link is brand new never used. you cannot compare it with a refurb one, even the price is the same

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

The refurbs and the new machines have the same warranty. So Baratza thinks they are comparable. :wink:

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

I purchased my Vario via eBay new for $360 (best offer) including shipping. It was a good deal, and I've been happy with it. Not long after purchase the drive shaft must have started slipping, sheared a pin or something - and Baratza swapped it out in warranty for a brand new unit.

So you can get them for $360 if you are lucky or patient enough.
LMWDP #445

vze26m98

#6: Post by vze26m98 »

Eastsideloco wrote:The refurbs and the new machines have the same warranty. So Baratza thinks they are comparable.
There's probably an argument that to make about a refurb being a safer buy, having already gotten over its initial problems, if it was going to have them.

I love my $360 refurb, and Baratza gave me the steel burrs for the usual $20 extra. Couldn't be happier.

Best, Charles