Olympia Cremina user looking to "upgrade"

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ltjaw

#1: Post by ltjaw »

I think this is my first post here, so I'll start by saying hello.

I have been learning to pull shots of espresso on my 1982 Cremina (still has the asbestos on the boiler!) over the last two years. My technique and shot quality have especially benefited from information I have gathered from this forum. Thanks!

I'm very fortunate now to have the opportunity to purchase a new espresso machine, and the options are making my head spin. I have the budget for a new LM GS3 and have given some serious consideration to this purchase. I recently had the opportunity to pull some shots on a commercial machine (a LM Linea), and I was quite impressed with the ease and consistency of making some great tasting espresso. I find there are more variables to making espresso with the Cremina, resulting in a longer and more rewarding learning curve (for me). So I'm torn now between buying a pump machine like the GS3 vs sticking with a lever machine. It seems the "upgrade" options in the lever realm primarily involve spring mechanism machines.

Why am I looking to get a new machine? I'm thinking better temperature control will help me achieve more consistent shot quality. I'm looking for a new experience. My Cremina is a refurbished machine, and I'd like a nicer piece of gear in my house. Better steam for milk is an afterthought.

In addition to the GS3, I have looked at the Pompei and even toyed with the thought of buying a new Cremina.

Any thoughts? FWIW, I'm grinding with an OE Pharos and am looking at bundling a new grinder with the machine purchase.

Thanks!
Andrew

LMWDP #459

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I certainly wouldn't bother shelling out for a new Cremina. It wouldn't gain you much that you don't already have except the perception of "new" at one heck of a premium. It's a lateral move, at a big expense. Especially if steaming larger volumes of milk and more dependable control of the shot temp matters to you.

I think shot temp stability is overrated personally. As long as I know I can replicate from one shot to the next, the desired temp range that I want, I don't care if it's dead set at 202.5 or 202. etc.
A GS3 gives you tons of features you don't currently have.

How far does your interest in levers take you? You could buy a Strega and a Compak K-10 for the price of the GS3 and have a thick wad of cash left over.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ltjaw (original poster)

#3: Post by ltjaw (original poster) »

Point taken about buying a new Cremina. One thing I love about the Cremina is that it's built to last.

I should consider the Strega. Would a commercial lever bring anything more to the table (or the cup)?
Andrew

LMWDP #459

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

Dissuade me from upgrading to commercial lever

I had the same question recently, but from a different home lever. I decided that I will upgrade to a commercial lever eventually, but the difference from here to there is minor enough that I would rather invest in other things right now. When I have the space and capital, I will be purchasing a commercial lever.
LMWDP #366

ltjaw (original poster)

#5: Post by ltjaw (original poster) »

I read that discussion with great interest. One concern of mine, moving from the Cremina to a commercial lever, is that the commercial levers have spring driven pistons and that I'll be giving up the "feel" of pulling a shot as on the Cremina. And if I'm giving up that feel on my new machine, why not go for something totally different and loaded with features, like the GS3?

But not having pulled any shots on a spring driven lever, I have no idea if I'll actually be giving up that feel, or giving up that same degree of control in the pull.
Andrew

LMWDP #459

summer

#6: Post by summer »

Regarding the feel of a manual vs a spring assisted lever, I can tell you that while I enjoy both the Faemina and the Cremina, I would pick the Cremina as the more 'fun'. I have more control over the shot, and feel I can make better espresso with the Cremina (I went for a new 2011-model, and have no regrets).
I have never operated a pro springlever, though... I could imagine its a great feeling pulling that big lever down and letting it go :)

Possepat

#7: Post by Possepat »

Have you looked at Londinium? They are now shipping out the same day you order. Not a single damaged unit since august, and the price is right. I've had mine for over a year now and it works flawlessly.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

genecounts

#8: Post by genecounts »

Sitting here reading this while enjoying a short capp out of my 1967 Cremina. The "short" part was one to two ounces steamed out of my four year old La Spaziale. They sit side-by-side and both turned on each morning.
I love the control over the shot from the Cremina and find the La Spaz somewhat boring to operate.

My debate with myself four years ago is what to buy a lever or a commercial pump machine. Two of the answers on here after I posed the question that intrigued me the most were two guys that had both a Cremina and a La Spaz.
Well, which do you prefer?

Both said you could not tell the difference in the shots, that each was great, that each machine had it's own advantages. I phoned both and both said the Cremina cleaned up much easier but the La Spaz steamed better. Boy were they spot on.

They also suggested I might want to go commercial machine first as Cremina had a greater learning curve.
Turned out thia was wrong, strictly IMHO.

I first purchased a La Spaz. A year later a much used Cremina. Had so many electrical probs had to send it to Doug at OE. He fixed that but couldn't retrofit better steaming arm because it was pre-1982. Or was it pre-1983?

Do I want to upgrade? Very, very picky. Maybe a Londinium in the future.
Good luck on your decision.

Eastsideloco

#9: Post by Eastsideloco »

While I'll be sticking with a Cremina for a while, a GS3 is at the top of my imaginary upgrade list. (Imaginary because I don't have room or the budget for one.) If you can afford a GS3, there are undoubtedly a lot of other interesting options to consider as well. But La Marzocco machines are pretty much the de facto industry standard. If you surveyed pro baristas to see what they'd like sitting on their counter at home, I bet the GS3 would come out near the top, if not at the top, of the list.

If you like the lever experience, definitely take a look at the Strega option. I've had excellent shots out of the equipment combo Tom C mentions above.

russel

#10: Post by russel »

I would love an "upgrade" from my Cremina, but I have't found one. For myself, there is nothing better that manual lever. I've owned a GS/3, a Strega, and all sorts of other things. Nothing is better than my Cremina in the cup or in my hand. I dream of some sort of "big group" manual lever with a nice big auto filling boiler (maybe two), plumb in, giant work area/drip tray, hot water tap, boiler heated fresh hot water tap, etc etc etc. Alas, I have found nothing. I'm feeling that I will have to make my own...someday I hope.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com