Olympia Cremina

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bronsht

#1: Post by bronsht »

I know I just did a terrible thing and I have no excuses. I ordered a Cremina which I do not need. I could not take reading all the wonderful things about it here on HB. It means that my retirement funds just took a hit. On the other hand, after dreading the last week, especially with the Memorial Day holidays intervening, I finally received the nurses telephone call telling me I do not have lung cancer. So...I'm rewarding myself. Now where do I go to get some good, fresh beans (would prefer 2nd wave, chocolate/heavy Italian style) in San Francisco? Thanks for any help.

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Well, congrats on the double news.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

My two thoughts on your beans recommendation are Mr. Espresso and Linea Caffe. But then I've not been in San Francisco since around 2006.
LMWDP #198

bronsht (original poster)

#4: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Chert,
What would I ask for? Or would I just tell them what style I enjoy and let them offer suggestions?

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Congratulations on both ends. If a new unit is really what spoke to you, then enjoy it in good health! But, short of the pressure gauge and some pretty shine, they're 1/4 the price on eBay and the wave of Cremina fandom has crested and now at its trough. You can pick up a solid, clean working Cremina for around $600 with little effort nowadays. This wasn't the case just 2-3 years ago.

I'd second Linea Espresso for what you and I have chatted about in the past. Their house blend is incredible and they are always on the leading edge of great Brazilian coffee that can be pulled as delicious, sweet, low acidity espresso that will still have plenty of brightness and far cleaner than most other Brazilian offerings.

We need to meet up again. I'm really glad to hear the good news about your health. My dad smoked for 40+ years and has finally been tobacco free for about 8 years now. I treat lung cancer every day, and there's nothing in the world worse than not being able to catch your breath. It's the worst curse ever.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

You can pick up a solid, clean working Cremina for around $600 with little effort nowadays.
You mean $900-$1600?

Congrats on the Cremina!
LMWDP #353

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mborkow »

Order some beans from Sweet Marias (right across the bay) and roast them yourself.

Chert

#8: Post by Chert »

bronsht wrote:Chert,
What would I ask for? Or would I just tell them what style I enjoy and let them offer suggestions?
At Linea they could serve you an espresso or espresso drink. If you like it bring some home and try to match. Tom's description of their espresso makes me want to try it again. Of Mr. Espresso: check the photoreportage Dr. Gary put together about Mr. Espresso, I think he mentions some of their offerings more specifically: here.

Cheers!
LMWDP #198

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty »

Congrats to OP, and best to your health. Be sure to take some pics of your espresso station once it's up and running :) Hope you'll pair it with an HG One :)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

treyrox

#10: Post by treyrox »

$800-$1400 for the last 7 I have followed

there has been some correlation to how nice they were and some just got bid up.

nothing around $600