Nuova Simonelli Mythos One Clima Pro vs. Mazzer Kold

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Fran_Brandariz

#1: Post by Fran_Brandariz »

Hi guys! i'm looking to upgrade the grinders of my Café. Now i have 2 SJ and 1 Mazzer mini.. which is your favourite and why: mythos with burrs heater and cooling system or the mazzer kold: the classic Robur E with fans?.. Monster conical or Flat burrs?

P.D. : Sorry for my english!!

Saludos!

frank828

#2: Post by frank828 »

your english is great! that'll be quite an upgrade from the SJs and a mini. *jealous*

i wonder, though, if anyone really has any experience with these grinders. the mythos is just starting to tour the US and i didnt think the new mazzer was even out yet.

no matter what you choose, im sure you'll have quite a dramatic change in workflow and taste.

If you want to retain a similar taste to your SJ and mini, you may want to consider staying with a flat burred grinder. I would think the mythos, k30 or something similar would all be great upgrades.

If you havent tried a conical, you may be surprised at the difference in taste of the espresso. I'd suggest trying one out before taking the dive. In my experience, conicals definitely brought out more brightness and reduced the bass notes. Subsequently, i had to updose the coffee in order to give our milk drinks more balance.

PS. Oh, i see you have an HG-1. Nevermind the conical part of my post then.

Fran_Brandariz (original poster)

#3: Post by Fran_Brandariz (original poster) »

I have a hg one..and this make me afraid because the distribuition of the coffee grounds isn't good.. I like mythos because its a new model designed by profesional baristas like james hoffman and the new feature of heating burrs makes me a lot of intrigue to what extent can improve coffee.. Can it beat the mazzer?

Saudos!

frank828

#4: Post by frank828 »

you really shouldnt have much of an issue with distribution in this class of grinder. ive had no issues with multiple k30s and roburEs.

russel

#5: Post by russel »

I'm more interested in the Mythos. I tend to frequent cafés at off times and get a queasy felling in my stomach when I walk into a place with large grinders and no line. I don't like not knowing when the bulk of the coffee in my shot was ground. If I'm paying $4 for 1oz of SO espresso, I want that coffee ground on the spot, not 5 minutes earlier or even 60s earlier.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

Distribution isn't an issue. The hg one has problems because it's straight through. Any sort of doser solves that problem and incurs some others that you are familiar with having SJs. Check out the slayer vid, no distribution at all. This is pretty much the same with the doser less kony and robur as well.
I have used an old mythos when it clumped a lot, but that has been fixed with newer models. Your decision is really about cost and burr characteristics. You'll find more than enough info on the relative benefits of conicals and flats by searching.
LMWDP #353