Nuova Simonelli MDX vs. Ceado E5P

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sprin001

#1: Post by sprin001 »

Found a used nuova simonelli mdx grinder on my local craigslist. Currently using a ceado e5p. Anyone know if the nuova would be a good upgrade for a home user? TIA -JS

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

They are both 64mm flat burr grinders. The MDX has 290W motor nearly identical to the Ceado E5P 300 watts.
The NS MDX would only be an upgrade if it was the MDX on demand which adds 2 electronic dosing option.
The MDX on demand would make it comparable to the Ceado E6P

The MDX is also an older model than the Ceado E5P. Essentially this ends up be a lateral move.
So I'm saying the NS MDX is not an upgrade from a Ceado E5P.
*BTW I believe Nuova SImonelli either owns or is affiliated with Eureka and these two grinders may share some parts.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

sprin001 (original poster)

#3: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

redbone wrote:They are both 64mm flat burr grinders. The MDX has 290W motor nearly identical to the Ceado E5P 300 watts.
The NS MDX would only be an upgrade if it was the MDX on demand which adds 2 electronic dosing option.
The MDX on demand would make it comparable to the Ceado E6P

The MDX is also an older model than the Ceado E5P. Essentially this ends up be a lateral move.
So I'm saying no considering the NS MDX an upgrade.

*BTW I believe Nuova SImonelli either owns or is affiliated with Eureka and these two grinders may share some parts.
Great info. Thanks again - this is why I ask.

sprin001 (original poster)

#4: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

Well, almost two months later I thought what the heck and bought it for 300. After a thorough cleaning - I finally got it ready to perform. I had been using the ceado for about 9 months and had it as dialed in as I could get. The nuova simonelli clearly out performed the ceado within the first 1 hour of getting it dialed in. The notes shine through the espresso with more clarity. The ceado made good coffee, the mdx makes great coffee. I should say, the ceado is much more manageable for home use but I'll deal with the hassle of a doser for the taste that thing is throwing out.

Also, I'm looking for a smaller hopper. I saw an old post about one being 3d printed, anyone else willing to sell me a printed one?