Newbie needs help buying used espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mustardmarty

#1: Post by mustardmarty »

Hi all, just joined the forum so I can begin expanding my knowledge with espresso and espresso based beverages.
A little background...
I grew up working in a small French restaurant that served a basic line of espresso and lattes/capp etc. That was 15 years ago and all the restaurants I have been in since never had any. Obviously, my experience and knowledge are both minimal. That all being said I am finally striking out on my own and running my own business. The restaurant I am operating was already established but only serves basic drip coffee. That needs to change!

I am looking for recommendations on all aspects of this project. I realize this is a "home-barista" forum but I do not expect to do much volume and I am looking for used equipment so I thought this would/could be a good place to get started.

I have been researching a bunch but there is one machine in particular that I have kinda fallen for...
It is an Astoria argenta AEP-2n from the late 90's.
Any ideas on whether a machine of this age would be worth looking into?
Approximate value assuming 100% working order and exterior in excellent shape?
How difficult is it to set up a machine like this without a dedicated waterline?

Aside from those questions, I would like to hear from anyone with other brand suggestions.

Restaurant is currently lunch only (until fall of this year most likely) and has 130 seats. I am not sure how much coffee only business I can attract as a drive thru is not an option. So, like I said, I believe my coffee sales will be low volume. Regardless I want to have a machine. I buy a drink a few times a week so worst case it will become a home-use...i'll be living there anyway haha.

Thanks everyone who takes the time to offer up any advice or comments.
CRB

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

make sure you can justify the cost in your restaurant. espresso takes FRESH coffee to be palatable. At what point is sales volume too small to offset the cost of the coffee you use? If you think you can justify it, Id recommend a used Mazzer Super Jolly, they're prevalent, reliable, and easy to sell if you need to. As for a machine, my knowledge is limited to vintage levers. Id suggest looking into a prosumer or light commercial machine, maybe an e61? Im really not sure when it comes to pump machines. You'd also have to make sure you and your employees are trained in how to make any drink you offer, this also adds cost for the time of training, as well as the recurring need to dial in coffee and diagnose shot problems. Really I wouldnt suggest anyone sell espresso in anything except medium or large quantities because of the work involved with it, but the decision is yours.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

pacificmanitou wrote:make sure you can justify the cost in your restaurant. espresso takes FRESH coffee to be palatable. At what point is sales volume too small to offset the cost of the coffee you use?
If you get good coffee and freeze it air tight at the peak of development you'll be fine.

Probably you should consider a plumb in machine as even with small traffic refilling will become a hassle. Then there's the issue of servicing the machine. If you get something used, how will you know it is in good shape? How will you keep it that way?

Also what is your budget?

But most important, have you had coffee and espresso that knock your socks off? If not, have you found some top places near you to try (see the Cafes forum)? If your food and coffee are delicious people will notice and go to your place for their favorites. If you implement your coffee service well it will taste so good it won't be low volume for long.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

joatmon

#4: Post by joatmon »

I'm going against the grain here. No espresso at this time. Why? I'm an espresso drinker, but there are no restaurants where I'll currently order espresso because I know that the odds are 100 to 1 that it will not be enjoyable. Frankly, you lack the experience to pull it off at the moment.

I would focus on really great brew coffee. I'd much prefer great brew over poor espresso.

Also, consider profit. If you have great brew coffee, your cake, pie, cheesecake sales will carry the day.

Just my opinion and advice. Best wishes.

mustardmarty (original poster)

#5: Post by mustardmarty (original poster) »

All great replies so far. I have struggled with the idea that I am not knowledgeable enough at this point but where and when will I get it is a big question as well... I agree 100% on starting with getting "great brew coffee first". The coffee that is being served currently is basic and nothing special.

I think I am getting a used Astoria that according to the tech at ESI is in very very excellent condition. I think I am going to plumb it in the BOH and practice with it with staff family and friends before launching it for general customers.

I have heard mixed comments regarding the freezing of coffee. Any more insight on that topic would be greatly appreciated.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

If you search the site you'll find great reports like this:

/store-coffee-in-freezer.html
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

beer&mathematics

#7: Post by beer&mathematics »

Let me make a suggestion. Look into a machine and grinder set-up that you would be comfortable using and learning on at home for a while while you learn or re-learn your barista skills. Here is a suggestion of a machine that is NSF rated, so you can use it in your restaurant when you are comfortable with the quality of your shots and steaming: Nuova Simonelli Oscar. It is ~1k new (you can learn a bit from this video: http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/nuova- ... so-machine). The other essential advice is good grinder and FRESH coffee, as others mentioned above.

If you think about this as a home machine first with potential to be used at the business, then it might make it easier to justify the expense.
LMWDP #431