Newbie Espresso Machine on $300 Budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dgm26

#1: Post by dgm26 »

Hello! I am new to the forums here and new to this whole world in general. I love coffee and espresso and I am now looking to finally purchase my own machine. I have received some recommendations from friends but I am looking for a more informed opinion. Alright, here it goes:

My budget is tight unfortunately and I cannot exceed $300

I guess I am in between a Nespresso machine (is that taboo around here?! :oops: ) or a less expensive manual/semi auto machine

From what I have heard/been told...the Nespresso would be the way to go, as a machine for under $300 would likely be lower quality, would likely have pressure and calibration issues, and not last as long. Honestly, my foremost concern is the price at the moment. I would prefer to stay below $200, however, the Nespresso that would do everything that I'd like it to is at $299 ( http://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-D120-US ... B002NGNHBS )

What are the differences between a less expensive ($100-$200) semi-auto/manual espresso machine and this Nespresso?

Devin H

#2: Post by Devin H »

When you say you love espresso, are you saying you love the 1 or 2 oz. Straight espresso drink? Or the cafe lattes with espresso in milk most likely with some sort of sweetener added? Most "new" people mean the latter. On this site you'll find people who know when their coffee is roasted if they don't roast their own at home. And who learn about the different origins of coffees and their attributes. And who often take time in the artistic and ritualistic approach to a perfect espresso "manually" crafted each day. Nespresso is generally used for a quick and often sugar filled way to get coffee. Not the craft that is talked about here. If you're willing to put in the time and take in the science, art, and wonderfully delicious result of fine coffee, then by all means ask away for opinions here.

Dooglas

#3: Post by Dooglas »

As Devin said - this won't be the place to find a better buy on a Nespresso or K-cup machine. On the other hand, members can tell you about the pros and cons of some of the low cost SBDU espresso machines such as the Gaggias. The catch with your budget, is that you have allowed nothing for a grinder. That will set you back as much or more than the espresso machine. And if you were planning to use (stale) preground - this, again, will not be the place where you will get any encouragement.

takeshi

#4: Post by takeshi »

dgm26 wrote:My budget is tight unfortunately and I cannot exceed $300
For the grinder as well?
dgm26 wrote:I guess I am in between a Nespresso machine (is that taboo around here?! :oops: )
I don't think it's taboo but you're asking the wrong people. Try a site like Single Serve Coffee Forums.
dgm26 wrote:What are the differences between a less expensive ($100-$200) semi-auto/manual espresso machine and this Nespresso?
An espresso machine at any price point is useless without a grinder.

Martin

#5: Post by Martin »

IMO, owning your own espresso gear is partly about drinking the coffee you love, but more about learning to love coffee you haven't quite yet imagined. I think $300 is too little to satisfy either goal.

Have you read about Aeropress? For under $30 you can make single shots of very good almost-but-not-quite espresso that is rather close to Nespresso----better, if you attend to some key preparation issues (which you can't do with Nespresso.) Maybe also get set up with a near-state-of-the-art pour-over "system" for the same benefits. Check out the "Brewing" section of the forums here. Both these methods will help you learn quite a lot about different coffees and keys to preparation (grind, water temp, etc.)

More important, Here's a thread about hand grinders that will keep you busy for a while:
Hand Grinder Roadshow
It doesn't take long (on this site, anyway) to catch the importance of grinders.

With the above, I think you can come in under budget and maybe have some left over to buy a few very good coffees. Furthermore, when you get the resources for espresso, you'll find good uses for the gear that you've already acquired.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

dgm26 wrote:What are the differences between a less expensive ($100-$200) semi-auto/manual espresso machine and this Nespresso?
Hello Dan,

Welcome to H-B! :lol: Sorry if we've been a bit hard on you for asking about Nespresso. There's a question in your post that might help you guide your purchase.
The differences are ability to control temperature by setting the PSTAT (pressure switch) and the ability to grind your own coffee, which helps you tune the brewing to get more out of the coffee you're using. With a better machine you can fine tune things more and that can be easily tasted.

To get an idea of your lower budget espresso machines, see the FAQs section of the Buying Advice forum. You can find a starter machine, used. Anything is possible, but your budget is low. Another entry point is a used manual lever machine, like a La Pavoni Europiccola. When I say anything is possible, I found a used La Pavoni Europiccola for $50 and a Mazzer Super Jolly grinder for $200. The La Pavoni Europiccola needed seals, so the cost came to about another $100 repaired plus some elbow grease to clean up a rusted drip tray. It came with a grinder I sold for $40, and a knockbox and tamper. Don't expect to find these prices often, but if you scour your local online listings you can come up with decent used equipment. I've put some mods into that La Pavoni machine and it looks like this today, 3 1/2 years later. Paired with an Orphan Espresso Pharos grinder, it can reliably make espresso comparable to what you'll get in fine cafes. But that grinder costs almost as much as your budget. I found one of those used recently for $170.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!