New grinder help: Mazzer Super Jolly E vs. other doserless?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Joco

#1: Post by Joco »

Hey folks.... Im in need of some help here.

For the last 9 months I've been using my Super Jolly with a doser. And I have been pretty happy with it... except for the mess it makes. About 4 months ago I added EspressoParts Elvinator, which helped to keep the doser from shooting to left. However, I am getting tired of how much grinds are retained in the dower (inside the chute).

Anyway, I was thinking about upgrading to a Super Jolly E, which would get rid of the doser completely. However SJ-E's are in limited supply. So what would you recommend instead? I would like to stay in a similar price point as a SJ-E, but would consider stepping up to a conical burr.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

Thanks
Joe

turtle

#2: Post by turtle »

I had the same issues (messy dosing) and what I did was convert my can type doser to a timed doserless

here is the thread that covers what I did and where I found the parts to do it

Mazzer electronic doser kits

You might find some of the info useful to you.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Joco (original poster)

#3: Post by Joco (original poster) replying to turtle »

Thanks!! I considered going that route, but doing it that way makes it just about the same price as a SJ-E... which is why I was thinking about selling my SJ and just upgrading to SJ-E.

turtle

#4: Post by turtle replying to Joco »

My total for parts (including shipping) was $371.58 if this helps you.... Prices may have changed a little since then but not a lot I would not think as they are all just repair/replacement parts. I could have cut $100 off by using one of my darkroom times (GraLab 451). If you can find a 451 used or reasonable this might cut costs as the Auber timer box was about 1/3 the total cost. I doubt my wife would have gone for a darkroom timer in the kitchen so I opted for the box that looks nicer in "her" kitche

If you are thinking about getting the electronic by all means go for it and don't look back. This would be my first choice too as the electronic Mazzer system is pretty nice and handy being all in the same place (on the grinder).

I toyed with the idea of cutting out a mounting hole for the timer in my SJ body then decided that if I did not like it I was cooked (who would want a grinder with a large rectangular hole in the case).
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Joco (original poster)

#5: Post by Joco (original poster) »

Mick,

Thanks for the reply! Yea your total sounds about right. So I figure I would just sell my SJ and just go all doserless. Then I don't have to mess with modding my existing one.

Now if I can just figure out if I should stay SJE or goto something else. It sure seems for price vs performance its about the best grinder out there.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

How about the Mini-E, which has the same size burrs as the SJ?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Joco (original poster)

#7: Post by Joco (original poster) replying to sweaner »

I didn't realize they were the same burrs. But if I remember correctly, there was a pretty significant grind/taste difference between the Mini and the SJ.

kwantfm

#8: Post by kwantfm replying to Joco »

Same size, but not the same burrs. It's well covered on this site but the SJ 64 mm burrs have a more aggressive cut than the E-Mini. I've switched over to SJ burrs on my Mini and it cuts about 40% off the time for grinding.
LMWDP #602

Joco (original poster)

#9: Post by Joco (original poster) »

Hmm... I wonder if a Mini-E with the SJ burrs gets the same performance as a straight SJ.

Joco (original poster)

#10: Post by Joco (original poster) »

Although now that I look at it. There's not much of a price difference between the Mini-E and the SJ. So once you convert the Mini to SJ burrs you're almost identical in price.

** I failed to mention that I did finally find a shop with a SJ-E available.