New grinder for brewed coffee!

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
KCCoffee15

#1: Post by KCCoffee15 »

This seems to be an age old topic, the search for a better grind never ends much like anything in the coffee world. To start I have a baratza encore, I wanted more after a few years... So I upgraded to preciso burrs. I primarily brew via Chemex but also from time to time brew via my frenchpress or dragon. I've been looking at the vario with steel burrs and then I started looking at the mazzer mini and the macap M4 and the K30. Somewhere out there I saw a guy was using the M4 for similar brew style as mine, but so many of the posts I saw were over 5 years old... So let's bring this up. I want a stepless grinder of perfection, fines kill my soul as does particle inconsistency. If there were a brew lab of epic machines and coffee experts that would be the easiest way to find my answer... So let's hear the opinions!

Ps I've read and watched videos galore

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

Vario with steel burrs, Lido hand grinder, or commercial Bunn or build a Bunzilla are about the top options for what you want to do (leaving out stuff like the EK43 etc unless you want to go with a crazy high budget lol)

If you get a refurbished Vario at Baratza (have to keep checking their site) they'll add the steel burrs for a small fee.

Fausto

#3: Post by Fausto »

Hmm, a stepless grinder seems unnecessary to me for a brew grinder, I can't imagine the steps on your Preciso not being small enough for a Chemex, but that's just me.

As far as grind quality goes, the Preciso is pretty excellent, the steel burred Vario/Forte might be better, but plenty of people will argue the conical burrs are better for coarser grinding.

A good bulk grinder, meant for a coarser grinding theoretically should be better. Something like an EK43, or some sort of Bunn (I'm not that familiar with them). I know a lot of people here also think very highly of the Lido 2 and 3 from Orphan Espresso - they're hand grinders, but about as consistent as it gets in the coarser range. You're always going to have some fines, and the particles are never going to be exactly consistent - that's just the nature of the game - you're crushing a roasted bean, it's a problem that can only be solved so well.