New Espresso Machine = New Grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bcrdukes

#1: Post by bcrdukes »

Hi folks,

Been a while since I've last posted on the forum.

I am moving on from my Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID to a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 in a matter of days. I currently have a Baratza Vario (original version) and was looking to see if anybody can recommend or offer some insight on whether it's okay to continue using the Vario with the Giotto, or to move on to something better?

If the option is to move on from the Vario, what are some suggestions? For now, let's not factor in cost. A Mazzer Super Jolly is out of the question as it simply will not fit on my countertop (I'm a condo dweller so space is a premium.) My ultimate goal and question is - will a newer/better grinder enhance the quality of espresso significantly? Or just slightly? We can cover the financial cost benefit analysis later on.

Any input and insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
LMWDP #685

ds

#2: Post by ds »

Mike, if cost is not primary concern and you want an end-game grinder I can highly recommend Monolith Flat. It will fit easily under standard counters and as bonus its angled so its easy to load beans. This is single dosing grinder which means that you pre-weigh your coffee and then grind it, which eliminates the waste and stale coffee...

amagad

#3: Post by amagad »

bcrdukes wrote:Hi folks,

Been a while since I've last posted on the forum.

I am moving on from my Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID to a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 in a matter of days. I currently have a Baratza Vario (original version) and was looking to see if anybody can recommend or offer some insight on whether it's okay to continue using the Vario with the Giotto, or to move on to something better?

If the option is to move on from the Vario, what are some suggestions? For now, let's not factor in cost. A Mazzer Super Jolly is out of the question as it simply will not fit on my countertop (I'm a condo dweller so space is a premium.) My ultimate goal and question is - will a newer/better grinder enhance the quality of espresso significantly? Or just slightly? We can cover the financial cost benefit analysis later on.

Any input and insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
i would imagine that it should be okay, does the older model have flat burrs and if so, are thet ceramic? If yes, id keep it and test it to see if it can meet your expectations.

bcrdukes (original poster)

#4: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) replying to amagad »

I believe the model I have are ceramic flat burrs.

I will certainly keep the Vario for a while, unless someone can suggest something that will be a significant game changer. :mrgreen:
LMWDP #685

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Your Vario should be just fine.
Scott
LMWDP #248

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

Take a look at the Baratza Sette if you haven't.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

nuketopia

#7: Post by nuketopia »

Keep the espresso machine and spend the money instead on the best grinder you can lay your hands on.

I have a Monolith Conical. Someone else mentioned the Monolith Flat. Either would be a great choice.

The Monolith Conical is so, so much better than a Vario that there really is no comparison. The grinder makes an incredible difference in espresso, way more so than the machine. Even on my prior HX machine (Quickmill Anita with no PID) the quality of espresso possible is increased by the grinder so much more. I used a Vario for a number of years and there just isn't a comparison. My shots are consistent, repeatable, have significantly and measurably higher extraction yields (per VST Lab III) and the flavor and quality in the cup is superior.

So - don't be shy on the grinder. Penny-wise and pound-foolish as they say, if you're scrimping on the grinder.

Also, get yourself a scale and start weighing everything, from the dose to the beverage output and you gain a consistent quality to your process and flavor in the cup.

Idfixe

#8: Post by Idfixe replying to nuketopia »

I know it may be late for this but the above is the best advice. Like in golf: drive for show, putt for dough... in espresso, all look at the pretty machine when in fact money put on the grinder is the money best spent between the two. You will get more volume from your HX, but more consistency? Better taste? Debatable... but definitively more sexy and nice!

Now, what difference will it make for YOU? At one point, it feels like splitting hairs.. it gets a lot of $$ for incrementally low gain...

I don't believe I'm helping here... hope it helps you make your decision...

bcrdukes (original poster)

#9: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

Thank you all for your replies, everyone.

I will save the discussion of the Monolith grinder for another thread, but for now, I will keep the Vario as it has served me very well over the past seven years and I am confident it will continue to do so for at least another seven.

The Monolith was a neat suggestion, but the USD to CAD conversion does not make it a feasible purchase (I know, I did say money is no matter at this point) but seeing that $2400 price tag was a punch in the gut. My only concern is parts, reliability, serviceability, and other important things like after sales service. Again, I'll leave it for another discussion thread, but the suggestions are very much appreciated.

Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
LMWDP #685

Gig103

#10: Post by Gig103 »

I'm using a Baratza Vario with an E61 HX machine and it does fine! I periodically get upgradeitis but have yet to succumb. You'll be good!