New espresso grinder needed, budget $300 to $500 max

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jebez

#1: Post by Jebez »

My two year old Baratza Preciso is suddenly unable to grind fine enough for espresso.
I'm going to call Baratza today - but I don't know that it's going to be possible for me to service it, or worth sending it out to be repaired.

Despite my current financial situation, I think my trusty Andreja is ready for a step up.
I know that you usually get what you pay for with higher priced grinders, but I can't afford anything more than $300 to a maximum of $500.

I'd sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions for a grinder in that price range that performs well, and most importantly, is reliable in the long term and easy to maintain (I'm mechanically inclined).
I'm only interested in purchasing a new grinder.
I only make two cappuccinos a day and single dose.
I'm not really familiar with dose vs doserless grinders, or the merits of step vs stepless.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and insights.
Cheers!

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

I have a Barazta Vario grinder. It's a good little espresso grinder, and the modern day Rocky I think. The minimum grinder for espresso. I got mine for $360, and you can get them from Baratza for about that on the refurb site page with new parts and full warranty.

Recently I got some used burrs from a Compak K10 grinder. 68mm burrs, conical grind, titan class. I rigged up a grinder out of PVC parts and even though my setup is so very amateur I like this grind so much better than what the B. Vario is putting out. The flavors are so much better. It's an amazing transformation with my humble setup.

So I would recommend that you start looking into the OE Pharos. For $245 new you'll have a great conical burr grinder. Opt for some mods if necessary, but you should be able to put out great quality grinds with one of those grinders. They only build them when they have time, so you might have to check the website from time to time.

My Vario is going to be relegated to backup duty I can already tell.
LMWDP #445

politbureau

#3: Post by politbureau »

If you're looking for an off the shelf electronic grinder for espresso in the $500 price range, the only I'd recommend is the Vario-W. The weight feature will be very helpful in dialing in your technique, as it removes one more variable from the process that you don't have to worry about.

That said, a standard Vario and a digital scale can be had for less, and would free up some money for other accessories, like an exact-fit tamper, new precision basket or even a calibrated tamper or tamper mat (Attento Clik Mat, for example).
Many beans were harmed in the making of this barista.

Jebez (original poster)

#4: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:I have a Barazta Vario grinder. It's a good little espresso grinder, and the modern day Rocky I think. The minimum grinder for espresso. I got mine for $360, and you can get them from Baratza for about that on the refurb site page with new parts and full warranty.

Recently I got some used burrs from a Compak K10 grinder. 68mm burrs, conical grind, titan class. I rigged up a grinder out of PVC parts and even though my setup is so very amateur I like this grind so much better than what the B. Vario is putting out. The flavors are so much better. It's an amazing transformation with my humble setup.

So I would recommend that you start looking into the OE Pharos. For $245 new you'll have a great conical burr grinder. Opt for some mods if necessary, but you should be able to put out great quality grinds with one of those grinders. They only build them when they have time, so you might have to check the website from time to time.

My Vario is going to be relegated to backup duty I can already tell.
Thank you DanoM - but I think the OE Pharos is not quite what I'm looking for as it looks a bit cumbersome to use. I appreciate your input!

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM replying to Jebez »

No problems there. Manual grinding isn't for everyone.

The Vario (or the Vario W) would be the next best grinders in your target price range. I weigh out beans for the Vario, drop them in and grind. Works really well, and makes great espresso grind. Low grind retention too. I've been very happy with mine for over a year.
LMWDP #445

Jebez (original poster)

#6: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

politbureau wrote:If you're looking for an off the shelf electronic grinder for espresso in the $500 price range, the only I'd recommend is the Vario-W. The weight feature will be very helpful in dialing in your technique, as it removes one more variable from the process that you don't have to worry about.

That said, a standard Vario and a digital scale can be had for less, and would free up some money for other accessories, like an exact-fit tamper, new precision basket or even a calibrated tamper or tamper mat (Attento Clik Mat, for example).
Thank you Politbureau.
I already own and use a digital scale, so the standard Vario would be the better choice.
I was hoping to move away from the Baratza line as I don't think they're built to last. However, more substantially built units within my budget are too large to fit under my kitchen cabinet.

I really appreciate your mention of the accessories. For one thing, I've never heard of the Attento Clik Mat. I just Googled it and am totally impressed! What a great innovation!
As for a new precision basket, I've only used the one that came supplied with the Andreja 3 years ago.
Are there any specific ones that your recommend, that would make a difference over what I've been using?
Thank you again!

Jebez (original poster)

#7: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:No problems there. Manual grinding isn't for everyone.

The Vario (or the Vario W) would be the next best grinders in your target price range. I weigh out beans for the Vario, drop them in and grind. Works really well, and makes great espresso grind. Low grind retention too. I've been very happy with mine for over a year.

Thank you again DanoM.
You're the second person to recommend the Vario - and it looks as though that's the choice I'll be making.
Though I am concerned about the longevity of Baratza grinders.
My Preciso worked for a year, and died due to a defective part. Fortunately it was replaced at no cost.
The one that was replaced has barely lasted 2 years - and now it won't grind fine enough - and I don't know how to re-calibrate it (if that's even possible).
My sense is that Baratza makes products that function really well at great prices - but aren't built to stand the test of time. Or - perhaps I haven't been lucky with them.

DanoM

#8: Post by DanoM »

Jebez,

You could be right on the Baratza products. They are substantially made of plastic. They do well when they are working, but eventually they will die and probably sooner than a commercial machine would.

If you are really into working on a grinder, don't mind getting your hands dirty, and can get over the "I want to buy new" part of your request there's always a good deal around on a used Super Jolly and the burrs are inexpensive to swap. It's a taller grinder, and you'd have to remove the hopper in all likelihood. But it's commercial, and should be serviceable for many years to come.
I know that's outside of your request, but it would solve the concerns with the home use designed Baratza products.
LMWDP #445

mart

#9: Post by mart »

I too own a refurb Vario and a gram scale. IMHO the Vario works well if not used for multiple brew methods; it doesn't seem durable enough for constant coarse adjustments. Not sure if anything can best its combination of grind quality, ease of use, lack of retention, price and great customer service though.

Jebez (original poster)

#10: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:Jebez,

You could be right on the Baratza products. They are substantially made of plastic. They do well when they are working, but eventually they will die and probably sooner than a commercial machine would.

If you are really into working on a grinder, don't mind getting your hands dirty, and can get over the "I want to buy new" part of your request there's always a good deal around on a used Super Jolly and the burrs are inexpensive to swap. It's a taller grinder, and you'd have to remove the hopper in all likelihood. But it's commercial, and should be serviceable for many years to come.
I know that's outside of your request, but it would solve the concerns with the home use designed Baratza products.

The Super Jolly's seem to be very popular (and probability for good reasons).
Can they be used without the hopper, and not make a mess of the kitchen?