New coffee Brewer instead of pourover on weekdays

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chuckster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Chuckster »

Hi all,
I'm looking to shorten my morning coffee routine (hands on time) during the week. Currently I make a couple of cups with an aeropress or a larger serving with a Kalita 185. I'm considering a Bonavita 1900 or Brazen Plus. I think I can use the Sur la Table 20% coupon, but it looks like they don't carry the Brazen now.
Is the Brazen worth the extra $$ and brew time? Other than the premature failures that some have experienced, it seems that most reviewers like the added control of brew parameters that the Brazen offers.
I have read the thread on the new Oxo Brewer, but there are not many reviews yet.
An added benefit for me would be making a larger pot on the weekends or when we have guests.
Thoughts or other options?

Thanks,

Chuck

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

I find making smaller portions usually not optimal with an automated brewer if you don't want to be 'hands on'.

For minimal fuss and a great cup I'd go for an Espro press. I've had great coffee from one and was impressed with the ease of use.
It won't make you a larger pot on the weekend for guests. But a bigger pourover could fill in that gap quite nicely.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Chuckster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Chuckster (original poster) »

I'm intrigued - thanks!

coffeemmichael

#4: Post by coffeemmichael »

Not that you can buy it at Sur La Table, but I really like my wilfa from Williams Sonoma. I got mine in April with one of their 20% sales that happen every so often.

Seed65

#5: Post by Seed65 »

You may also consider the Chemex Ottomatic. It is about as basic coffee making as you can get....for an automatic. :D

millcityroasters

#6: Post by millcityroasters »

Technivorm Moccamaster.

Aside from being able to brew any size from a single cup to a full pot, I just brewed my morning coffee on a 10 year old version that looks and performs like new. It's super easy to clean after every use to avoid the sour coffee schmutz (the dreaded SCS) build up that characterize many brewers. I prefer the glass carafe because the pot is easy to rinse out and wipe dry (meaning I can get my hand in there with a kitchen towel).

For home use, I use 40 steel burr Vario grams to 6 cups, close the stopper slide for the first 2 cups to wet the grounds, the open the slide and turn it off as soon as the reservoir is empty. This is my version of the lazy man's pourover, but it's pretty repeatable and basically the same way we cup samples in the office.

I know some knock the erector set/chemistry lab styling, but it works for me and I've scattered one in nearly every kitchen in my extended family where I might be forced to sip a cup of coffee. :D

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Chuckster (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. I have some good choices.
Chuck

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Chuckster (original poster) »

I just picked up a Chemex 8 cup for using on the weekends while I decide on what brewer to purchase. I really like the clean cup and the ability to pour in three steps while I'm cooking breakfast. Not sure why I haven't tried one before now, but it's a keeper. :D