Need thermal safety switch for Olympia Cremina

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chococar

#1: Post by chococar »

Orphan Espresso doesn't seem to sell them any more. Does anyone have an extra one or know where to buy them?
Thanks,
Joe

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

This is an easy search. If you look up Olympia Express USA it will bring you to the Swiss site that will show you the new USA distributor, Cerini Brothers in New York. You can contact them. Another option is to look at your original part, measure it, and contact any of our approved espresso machine vendors listed in the Resources link. A temperature safety switch is a very standard and inexpensive part. Orphan Espresso lists a safety switch in their General Interchange Parts area, and I'm sure if you place an order they'll tell you if it will fit your Cremina.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
sanzrobinson

#3: Post by sanzrobinson »

Recently the thermostat failed on my Maximatic. I replaced with a Pavoni resettable thermostat (http://www.espressoparts.com/P14A?&search_id=2350092) and it works fine, even though the original thermostat was rated to around 160 deg C, while the Pavoni is 128 deg C. The Pavoni thermostat doesn't quite have the right dimensions, so I used two pennies (coated with thermal paste for better conduction) to bring it to a suitable height. The diameter of the Pavoni thermostat is a little too small also, so I cut up an old gasket to wedge it in.

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
chococar wrote: Does anyone have an extra one or know where to buy them?
What you need is a snap-action thermostat such as the 'Emerson Therm-O-Disc 36TXE26 L135C 1/2" Manual Reset'.

Like this one:

Photo courtesy Emerson Electric Co.

Search eBay for item #200998862008.
These guys sell you 20 pcs. for $19.99 + shipping, which IMO is a real bargain.
But in comparison to what an Olympia OEM part may cost you, it's just short of a gift. =-)

If perchance you don't want to get 20x$20, just google the part no. (36TXE26), they are all over the web but at higher prices. Just be sure to get the one with the right cut-off temperature.

I have installed these to replace the autoreset ones both in my Cimbali D/1 and two working EPs, they fit/work perfectly.

Cheers,

CIV

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by orphanespresso »

Just so. As we have pulled back from offering some parts like these, we have made sure that there are ready sources for such parts...yes, requiring a bit of research and searching, but if WE could find the part we assume YOU can find the part. In our view, a large part of our OE mission has been educational and aside from the obvious portafilters, groups, etc there is no such thing as "an espresso machine part" in the context of electricals, fittings, seals, etc. Even if one buys the current TStat sold by Olympia it will still have to be modified by cutting off the lower tabs or bending the terminals or shimming up the hole as well as adding an insulating Teflon washer on top to cover the exposed terminals so you can use the original clip. Also, the current tan TStat from Olympia has a tendency to arrive with the red button stem broken unless packed and handled very carefully so request extra packing on this little gem.
Our observation is that adding the "espresso machine" moniker to any part adds quite a bit to the price beyond the actual market value of the part.

chococar (original poster)

#6: Post by chococar (original poster) »

Thank you all for your advice.

CIV, I bought 20 of the switches from the eBay listing you provided, thanks. $19.99 with free shipping -- it is a gift.

Speaking of which, if anyone needs one, please let me know. I seem to have 19 extra :D

Thanks,

Joe

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Glad you got it fixed! You might offer the extras on the Buy/Sell forum where more people can find them.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement

#8: Post by chococar (original poster) »

Will do, thanks.

#9: Post by chococar (original poster) »

I modified one to fit in my Cremina, and it's working fine. I had to clip off the sheet metal mounting tab, space it up with a few pennies, and center it with a short piece of teflon tubing (see photo). Without constraining it to the center with the tubing, it seemed like it might short out if it got jiggled too much.

I've given away a couple of these, but still have more for anyone who needs one.

Thanks,

Joe