Need recommendations on the cheapest espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nikkist

#1: Post by Nikkist »

Hi,

I am new but I have done a ton of research and I know that I need a dual boiler machine but I can't afford one this year. I need to upgrade some camera equipment and software for work purposes before I can buy the equipment I need.

That said I need recommendations on the cheapest espresso machine (not a moka pot, aeropress, etc...) I can buy. Do you think Saeco Poema can make drinkable espresso? I will only need the machine to last a year or two tops. I intend to put what available funds I have into a grinder (Baratza Vario) for now, that way when I upgrade my espresso machine I will already have the necessary grinder.

I also plan on buying a separate milk frother because I will need to make at least 2 milk drinks in the morning and another 2-4 in the afternoon depending on if I have company or not.

Please don't be upset :oops: by my cheap choice in espresso machines this is what works best for me financially at the moment.

Philg
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Philg »

Mypressi Twist. I don't know anything about the machine but there's a lot here to read, including a second look review, to see if it's for you.

Good luck.

Advertisement
Nikkist (original poster)

#3: Post by Nikkist (original poster) »

Thanks, I checked it out the only thing is the warranty is only for 3mo. I would prefer a 1 year warranty that way I know I will not have to buy a machine until I am able to afford I want.

jonny

#4: Post by jonny »

You get what you pay for :wink:

I've heard a lot of people are quite happy with their mypressi twists. But if you are wanting a dual boiler, I'm guessing you want to be able to steam milk, right? The Saeco Poemia looks like a more plastic version of the Aroma. Seattle Coffee Gear has Aroma refurbs for the same price as Poemia refurbs. The Aroma and similar machines (Starbucks Barista, Via Venezia, etc.) are capable of decent shots once you depressurize the portafilter (a simple mod. all you need is a screwdriver) and learn how to temperature surf (pulling the shot at just the right time in the heating cycle to get the right temperature). My dad has a Starbucks Barista at his office that has been serving him well for about a year now.

Another line to look at is the Gaggia machines, but I don't know what to recommend under the Gaggia Classic ($379 @ Whole Latte Love)

Remember to work in a grinder to your budget. If you can't afford both, and good coffee is the goal, the recommendation is indeed to get a good grinder and some sort of drip coffee device.

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

+1 to what jonny said, i had written out a very similar comment until he beat me to it.

#6: Post by Nikkist (original poster) »

In your opinion? Is the Aroma or Via Venezia in the same range as the Gaggia. I don't want to spend too much because I know in reality I really need a dual boiler. I read the Gaggia isn't good for several milk drinks so I didn't want to spend $370 on something to just have to get rid of it in a year. If however I wouldn't have to temp surf with the Gaggia I would be ok getting it just to save a bit of time.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement

#8: Post by Nikkist (original poster) »

Thanks Randy,

This seems like a nice disposable machine, for some reason I never even looked at the Gaggia colors. I started at the classic and moved up from there to now having dreams of a dual boiler by next year.

#9: Post by Nikkist (original poster) »

Thanks Jonny and Intrepid510 I plan on ordering my Baratza Vario today. I figure this grinder will go well with whatever I finally decide to upgrade too.

fishll

#10: Post by fishll »

You should also consider used equipment in your search. Depending on your budget you can possibly purchase an entire setup for the price of a new machine or grinder. Craigslist or even better Search Tempest is your friend.