Need recommendations better than Rancilio Rocky grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cellinirocketman

#1: Post by cellinirocketman »

After my frustrating experience of dealing with the Rancilio Rocky grinder, I am looking to return it for a better grinder to get the right grind consistency for brewing top quality shots with my Rocket Cellini espresso machine. I am looking at Mazzer Super Jolly and Macap M4 stepless but open to recommendations.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

Budget? There's a lot that's better than the Rocky to choose from.

If you're willing to spend the price of a Super Jolly new (~$700) I would suggest looking at a Quamar M80E. Or maybe trying to see what you can find used (Major or better?).

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Are you planning to single dose your grinder? Or, load the hopper and purge stale grinds from the chute when the grinder sits for a while?

This is an important consideration when choosing a grinder. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house and I change beans frequently. So I always single dose and waste is minimal.

Other people make many drinks successively and throughout the day...with the same beans. In this case, hopper dosing is more convenient.

Different grinders are better suited for different routines. Some are good for both.

What will be your routine? And, yes, what's your budget and do you have space restrictions? Many grinders are the size of moon rockets.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

The better question is what's not better than the rocky :lol:

Based on usage habits like Ryan mentioned and budget will be needed before any meaningful recommendations can be provided. Keep in mind that many people haven't tried multiple grinders of the same class and will just recommend the one they have.

You should get an HG One. :roll:

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

brianl wrote:The better question is what's not better than the rocky :lol:
+ 1000!
LMWDP #748

takeshi

#6: Post by takeshi »

Always provide as much info as possible whenever asking for recommendations on any topic (not just grinders or espresso topics). Definitely provide a budget.
cellinirocketman wrote:I am looking at Mazzer Super Jolly and Macap M4 stepless but open to recommendations.
Why have you selected these two? Are you not consiering the Vario suggested in your other thread?