Need less expensive Baratza for espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BigBlaze

#1: Post by BigBlaze »

I want to recommend to a friend the less expensive Baratza for dose and grind small enough to prepare espresso.

can you recommend one? or any other good grinder at low price.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Pharos.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

Preciso is the lowest espresso grinder. The virtuoso will do it, but you will not have the adjustability, and you will be in between grind settings. You can compensate with dose, but it's less than ideal - actually is sucks.
LMWDP #353

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I wouldn't recommend less than a vario. I would recommend a Pharos, or a used super jolly for those with the space.
LMWDP #366

damonbowe

#5: Post by damonbowe »

bostonbuzz wrote:Preciso is the lowest espresso grinder. The virtuoso will do it, but you will not have the adjustability, and you will be in between grind settings. You can compensate with dose, but it's less than ideal - actually is sucks.
Preciso would work fine and not cost too much.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

And a refurbished Preciso directly from Baratza is the best deal of all.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

Honestly, I have such a love hate with my Preciso. When it works it's great, but when it doesn't well it doesn't. Over the three years that I have had mine I have replaced the burr adjustment ring 4-5 times, the motor once, switched out once and am now having to replace the new gear box because it got tore up. At this point I could start working in their refurb center without any direction.

Advertisement
happycat

#8: Post by happycat replying to Intrepid510 »

You might want to note that you grind a lot of city roasts (from your other post). Espresso is likely to be using much softer roasts.
LMWDP #603

[creative nickname]

#9: Post by [creative nickname] »

Agreed that this should be noted, otherwise it will scare people away from the preciso even if it would be good for their uses. I've had mine for about 18 months without a single problem (grinding on a range of coffees roasted from city to FC). It is capable of grinds that can be made into good (but not exceptional) espresso. It is also an excellent brew grinder, especially at the price point.

If your goal is the best espresso grinds you can get under $300, I think the Pharos wins without any question. If you want flexibility and the speed of a motor, preciso would be your best choice.
LMWDP #435

PacMan

#10: Post by PacMan »

I would also go with a Preciso. Been using one for 2 months and really enjoy it.

Got mine on eBay NIB, for less than refurb price using "make an offer." Baratza confirmed via serial number that the one I got was very new so I guess I got lucky.