Need help to decide on ECM Technika or Bezzera Strega

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
hokeiyiu

#1: Post by hokeiyiu »

hi everyone,

Me and my wife both are looking for a machine which can do some quality shot and dont mind the wait time between shot to shot or extra work for the flush since we hardly have large party over the house. Please give me some input for the big purchase between the ECM technika or Bezzera strega.

thanks

damonbowe

#2: Post by damonbowe »

The Bezzera Mitica is the machine you should compare to. Neither machine has a recovery time worth considering for making less than 5-6 drinks.

I'll take a crack at this.

ECM:
stainless boiler
gauges set high

Bezzera Mitica:
almost the same as the ECM but is at least $100 cheaper (use 10% off coupon at 1st Line).
more wattage than ECM
copper boiler (heats quicker, corrodes more, doesn't retain heat as well as stainless)
gauges set low

Bezzera Strega:
Has a spring lever. There is a Strega superfan on here (Jim) who has made many videos and posted all kinds of helpful information. There is no way I can top or even summarize his information and still do him justice, but you have more control over shots with the Strega because of the lever. You can preinfuse without having to plumb it. And note that there are like 3x different Strega models--I'm not sure what the differences are but people often talk about upgrading them.

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

damonbowe wrote:. And note that there are like 3x different Strega models--I'm not sure what the differences are but people often talk about upgrading them.

1)Tank,
2)Plumb-in, no-pump
3)Both connections with pump

In terms of capabilities, Strega by a landslide, no doubt about it. If you don't fancy yourselves pulling a spring loaded lever that can split your jaw clean in half if your careless, go with the ECM.

I really thing the ECM is quite awesomely set up personally. If I wanted an E-61 design (again), it's the only one I'd consider anymore. They just got it all correct in my opinion.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

And by upgrades, it's just fiddling. Adding a return line for the anti-vapor lock, and if you're so inclined, pre-infusion pressure profiling with a rotary dimmer. Both mods cost about $15 all together if you want to do it cheaply.

damonbowe

#5: Post by damonbowe replying to TomC »

Whoa, I remember there being a bigger difference in price if you get it direct from the dealer with upgrades. Thanks for the info, Tom!

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC replying to damonbowe »

Oh, I thought you were talking about the after-purchase modifications. Yes, the different styles have different prices. Really though, the only one that shouldn't be considered is the #2 that lacks all the features that make it so dang "playable" and adaptable.