My time with Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
khestehave (original poster)

#11: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

stretch wrote:Hi Klaus.

Just a few questions regarding your new HX.

Why the hx and not a DB?
Why the Vibiemme over a Rocket or Izzo?
What kind of grinder do you use?
Have you tried the steamer and does it keep its strength - that is, does it have enough power for multiple steams (four people wanting lattés...)
S
Hey Stretch

Why of course.

Well first off i was looking for a small machine (see my first thread on what small machine were out there:Who knows about a small HX espresso machine) with an E61....dunno know why an E61 really but it just seems like one of those things you gotta try. I wanted something that was solid and when I tried my friends Domo jr HX I was sold. Couldn't really find anything that fit the ticket like this one.

Why not a DB? Well I was in the market for an HX so it didn't really occur to me to look closely at the DB, but then when I bought the HX my fiend told me that he had been told that there had been issues with the DB (at least the EU models) so a few Danish retailers had stopped selling them (I have no facts to back this statement up with other than most of the retailers here in Denmark only carry the HX). Also I more or less only make milk drinks, so I'd never see the benefit of being able to turn off the steam boiler and somehow two boilers just seems like double the trouble, but that's just me.....HX is no technical picnic as far as I read, but still, it's not a new system in the world of espresso.

Uhhh, Izzo Vivi was in the running I can tell you, Rocket not so much.....don't know why to be quite honest, but in the end the size was a show stopper. Also here in Denmark the Vivi is about USD500 more expensive too and I like the fact that Valente's had a hand in making the Domobar :) Andreja Premium was my first choice of HX, but again size was a no go.

Grinder: Rocky doserless. Yeah I have it from when I upgraded from a Maestro Plus. I do however not think that this is limiting my espresso just yet. I'm pulling great tasting shots with great reproducibility and what I need to work on is my WDT and dosing as I haven't been caring much about that with Silvia in the past, but now seems the time. Just bought some tools from EspressoParts yesterday. I am however looking for a used Mazzer Major or maybe just a Mini, but only if I find a good value one. I'm not in a rush on the grinder side yet. However a naked PF is a GREAT investment to get good shots (or at least to trouble shoot with).

As for steam, it's great. As stated earlier we had people over on Friday and I made a bunch of lattés to go around and it was not running out of steam at all. Sometimes I feel like there's too much steam, coming from Silvia, I just can't seem to keep up and the two hole tip is a doozy, still haven't gotten that totally right, but that's part of the fun....the hunt for great micro foam.

As you said this is a minefield, but I would say that it is VERY easy to go overboard. I mean you don't really NEED to have 3 commercial grade grinders and a 2 group Synesso plumbed in with more water filtration equipment than a community pool to make a good espresso. I would however recommend to spend more attention to the grinder than the machine (I know I did it ass backwards, but don't do what I do.....do what I say ;) ).

I hope that gives some more clarity :)

Br

Klaus

#12: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

erics wrote:/downloads/ ... _press.pdf
AND
http://www.espressomyespresso.com/
AND
search.php
While the links do not specifically address the VBM Junior Hx, it shares many of the parts with its older brother.

Mr Svendson! I am honored that you join my thread :)

Thank you so much for the links. I will be sure to check them out. I have just this afternoon ordered parts to pimp out the Domo and I do believe that the next thing in the cart from Chris' Coffee will be a certain thermometer.

Thanks again

Skål!

Randy G.

#13: Post by Randy G. »

Eric's thermometer is a must have (IMO). The current thermometer is an improvement from the early model (just the thermometer itself- the adapter is still the excellent piece of hardware it has always been). The new one has a momentary push button that is sealed (push on/push off), and the thermometer has an auto time off so the battery should last longer (and is larger as well). There are other minor improvements internally which should make it even more dependable. I have become so accustomed to using it that I don't think I could live with an E-61 without his thermometer mounted.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

Klaus -

Did you, at one time, post that you wanted to swap the HW and Steam lines? If so, post a pic (or 2 or 3 or 4) of the VBM internals and we'll see what can be done.

As an FYI, the VBM Junior Hx model is, like its brother, fitted with a 3.0 mm thermosyphon restriction orifice in the upper grouphead tube.

Send me an email to the address belwo my sig.

Skol,

Eric
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#15: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Hey Eric

Thanks for the Links!

This one is a great guide for anyone like me who needs info on HX machines on a general level!

/downloads/ ... _press.pdf

IMHO a must read for an HX newbie like myself.

Regarding the steam wand switch-a-roo, yes that was me. However now that I have the machine in place it is actually OK.....for now. Also I ordered a no burn steam wand from Stafano's yesterday together with a factory cut VBM naked PF, so I'll see how that little update goes. I have read the pros and cons of the no burns and the biggest con seems to be a lesser steam output, but that's ok with me as I can't keep up :) So before I start bending pipes and switching around stuff I'll see how this works out first. Nontheless I will be glad to provide some pictures of the inner workings of Domo Jr if I get time to peel off the casing during the weekend.

Later

Klaus

Randy G.

#16: Post by Randy G. »

khestehave wrote:This one is a great guide for anyone like me who needs info on HX machines on a general level!
/downloads/ ... _press.pdf
IMHO a must read for an HX newbie like myself.
If you want to learn more about how the E-61 group works try this one:
http://www.espressocare.com/PDF-Files/V ... AFTvD8.pdf
It is the manual for the double-boiler model, but contains a lot of detailed info that will still be useful to you which was not in the DS manual.

<horn blow>And, by the way, I wrote both of them... </horn blow> :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#17: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Thanks Randy

Another great guide. To say the least the supplied owners manual is ahem....."lacking" of certain details so this is a nice add on :)

Later

Klaus

slybarman

#18: Post by slybarman »

I agree with Randy, I can't imagine NOT having Eric's thermometer. I would just be guessing at temps.

#19: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Intrepid510 wrote:As far as milk steaming......
Thanks again for the tip. I did almost nothing with the pitcher today I just held it there with the wand in the middle and poured my first semi OK rosetta this morning. Got a bit overzealous when I realized that I was making a rosetta that I screwed it up a bit :) but hey the froth was great!

Later

Klaus

Aaron

#20: Post by Aaron »

As long as it tastes good that's all that matters. Well that's what I tell myself everytime my rosettas are a flop, which is quite often :)

Those VBM are great machines and they make it so easy!
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh