My old machine broke... Which of these do you recommend?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeyanan

#1: Post by coffeyanan »

Hi there!
My old (around 4 years I think) espresso machine, Saeco Poemia broke today :( The heater died, so I want to buy myself a new one. I liked this one even though I was ready to make a step upwards, except that my budget is a bit limited.
So... I have an okay burr grinder which is doing it's job very well. So I got the grinder covered, my main focus is now on extracting the coffee.
I would like to know if all of these machines have pressurized portafilters, since I want to have a non-pressurized. I know on some models this can be done manually by removing the valve inside, which would also be acceptable.

So here are the considered machines and their rough prices:

1. DE'LONGHI ECP35.31 -------------- 130€
2. Gaggia Gran Style ----------------- 110€
3. Delonghi EC 680 M ----------------- 160€
4. Gaggia Classic 2015 ---------------- 160€ (USED: 2 YEARS OLD)
5. SAECO POEMIA HD8425/21 -------- 90€
6. DeLonghi ECZ 351 ------------------ 130€ (USED: B-grade)

160€ is a bit much for me right now, but if any of that or a bit higher price range would be well recomended I would consider it.

This is roughly it. I have no idea where I could buy espresso machines online (any links) with EU shipping. So this are mostly my local sources.
I myself am leaning towards Gaggia or ECZ 351 (?).

If there are any more suggestions on espresso machines up to 200€ please share.

Thanks for your thoughts and imputs, much appreciated!

Espresso_Junky

#2: Post by Espresso_Junky »

Only machine in that list worthy would be the Gaggia Classic. If cared for they can last a long time and work well.

You will need decent grind quality and range to dial in the Classic as it's non-pressurized, 58mm basket style. I'm a fan of using what you have/can afford, so what grinder do you have? Also, what coffee(s) do you use?

coffeyanan (original poster)

#3: Post by coffeyanan (original poster) »

I have san marco sm 90/a grinder and I think it's pretty good. Not sure what good grinders are these days.
I use coffee from a store (Julius Meinl Prasident Espresso Bohne), nothing special but I like it.
I would like to perfect the non-pressurized portafilter technique since I think my grinder can grind so fine this could be done. I just wanted to do this on my saeco but it stopped heating the water after process with decalfier.

I was also thinking of maybe buying one of these: Lelit PL41EM (350€), Isomac Giada II (arround 400€) or Rancilio Silvia M V5 (400€), but these I think are way over my budget and would need to lasted for at least 30 years to give them a green light.

Although, it seems that the gaggia is not available anymore, so I might consider going higher in price ranges. From the three stated above which would be best choice?

Espresso_Junky

#4: Post by Espresso_Junky »

That grinder should definitely be very capable. How much grind retention do you have with it since it's commercial level?

Don't know about the LeLit or Isomac, but do own an early model Silvia and contrary to the quirks many complain about, it's a very capable machine and well built to last decades with good preventive maintenance. Some complain about the cost of the Silvia when compared to other models similarly priced with more bells/whistles, but I bought mine used for a steal (along with a Rocky) and have nothing but praise for how well it's built/performs once I found the sweet spot temp wise. The Silvia/Rocky are very consistent once dialed in.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

coffeyanan wrote:If there are any more suggestions on espresso machines up to 200€ please share.
Please don't cross-post to HB; see Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? for the rationale behind policy. Those who wish to continue this discussion are welcome to do so here.
Dan Kehn