My next coffee toy?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Tomtg

#1: Post by Tomtg »

So far I have enjoyed a Moka Pot, Kalita Wave. Then moved onto Aeropress and Hario V60 (both which I really really like for different things)

Was thinking of getting a ROK hand Espresso maker.

Any thoughts?

Or should I wait until I am feeling the gusto to just get an electric espresso maker?

I like the idea of doing things by hand. Have even learned to love hand grinding. Pour over etc. So the ROK espresso maker excites me.

Other options would be a Lido 3 (I don't mind spending money but is it REALLY a $140 more of a better grind than a Skerton? I would rather spend the money elsewhere as I have kind of tuned in my hand grinders )

Or even a Chemex?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hudson

#2: Post by Hudson »

If you are not interested in spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on espresso, I would point you toward the much cheaper path of just really good brewed coffee. It is far cheaper and is still really enjoyable.

I love the chemex that I have, and use it with a Lido 2 often. I, and I'm sure many others as well, would say that the Lido 3 is worth the extra money over the Hario grinder. Without even considering the grind quality, you are sure to fall in love with the craftsmanship of the Lido. It feels like an heirloom tool and is extremely no-nonsense. I would recommend one to anyone. The grind that they produce rivals electric grinders that cost many hundreds more.

If you are just looking for one new purchase, I would steer you toward a Lido 3. You would see a big jump in the quality of your pour overs, and it will suit you well for the other brewing methods you pick up in the future.
LMWDP #534

HoldTheOnions

#3: Post by HoldTheOnions »

What's your budget? I think you are on the track with the Rok, as lever machines are far more interesting than semi-autos. You can also find used Pavonis for $200-$400.

aecletec

#4: Post by aecletec »

If you like the learning experience then the ROK may be for you - it has quite the learning curve (see reviews where even experienced members had trouble) but once you figure it out it can make very good shots... But upgrading your grinder or modifying it should be a higher priority.

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee »

EspressoForge

Tomtg (original poster)

#6: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

Hudson wrote:If you are not interested in spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on espresso, I would point you toward the much cheaper path of just really good brewed coffee. It is far cheaper and is still really enjoyable.

I love the chemex that I have, and use it with a Lido 2 often. I, and I'm sure many others as well, would say that the Lido 3 is worth the extra money over the Hario grinder. Without even considering the grind quality, you are sure to fall in love with the craftsmanship of the Lido. It feels like an heirloom tool and is extremely no-nonsense. I would recommend one to anyone. The grind that they produce rivals electric grinders that cost many hundreds more.

If you are just looking for one new purchase, I would steer you toward a Lido 3. You would see a big jump in the quality of your pour overs, and it will suit you well for the other brewing methods you pick up in the future.
Thanks for the input!

If the grind quality is that much better then the Lido 3 might be the thing. They look great and look like they grind faster and better.

I could get the Lido for my pour overs (which I do more of) and just use the hario mini or skerton for the Aeropress (morning cup and always a different bean) where the Aeropress is (or seems to be) a little forgiving for grind.

I have found with hobbies I do better when I make one purchase at a time and thoroughly enjoy that purchase and then move on. (I learned that the hard way with chess! :) )

Thanks again!

Tomtg (original poster)

#7: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

HoldTheOnions wrote:What's your budget? I think you are on the track with the Rok, as lever machines are far more interesting than semi-autos. You can also find used Pavonis for $200-$400.
Budget I wouldn't want to go too much over $200 as I have some big expenses coming for my profession. :)

And this is my own weird thing but i am not a big fan of buying used unless I can just bump into something at a pawn shop or flea market. Me and Ebay have not had good experiences. :)

Maybe I will look at the Lido and then a little later the ROK, I think it would be fun to learn the ROK.

Hudson

#8: Post by Hudson »

I think you would be really happy with the Lido. Plus, it will last you for years to come. If you decide to get a lever later (as they can be an inexpenisive way to get into espresso) the Lido should also be able to pull some shots.
Tomtg wrote: I could get the Lido for my pour overs (which I do more of) and just use the hario mini or skerton for the Aeropress (morning cup and always a different bean) where the Aeropress is (or seems to be) a little forgiving for grind.
I find the Lido 2 to be very easy to adjust so I think you'll be able to write down the grind setting you use for each method and be able to quickly move between them.
LMWDP #534

CoffeeBar

#9: Post by CoffeeBar »

Tomtg (original poster)

#10: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:If you like the learning experience then the ROK may be for you - it has quite the learning curve (see reviews where even experienced members had trouble) but once you figure it out it can make very good shots... But upgrading your grinder or modifying it should be a higher priority.
I think I will go for that. Lido first. and then the ROK.

i LOVE the learning experience! And love manual coffee procedures best so far. (and I don't like tinkering with mechanical gear) So learning the ROK could be a lot fun.

But based on early replies and self-acknowledged grinder envy the Lido 3 is looking like its got next.