My Heart vs. My brain, GS/3, Slayer, Speedster musings...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Defleshed

#1: Post by Defleshed »

Hi, this was to be my first post, however i saw a topic of interest and made a comment before my original post.

I have been a long time lurker, only recently registered, but thanks to this forum, a few years ago i went with the Quickmill Andreja Premium and a Baratza Vario-W, both due to searching, reading, researching etc. Most, if not all of my education regarding Grind, Dose, Tamp came from here as well. Looking back, we have sure come a long way!

As satisfied as i am with my setup, i yearn for more. I use Eric's thermometer (again, discovered here!) and think i have the flushing routine pretty dialed in, i get consistent, good to great shots, always improving both the end result and my consistency.

But then, there was the Slayer.

My very first sighting was in person, Jasper, AB, in, of all places, a Laundromat. I Googled. I researched, I heard rumblings of a single group. I saw the photos, the rumors, the prototypes, and then, years into my coffee journey it finally arrived. People have them, Daily, pictures of unimaginable beauty flow across my Instagram Feed. I want one in the worst way.

I also want the GS/3. a long standing Italian Heritage. A proven and highly regarded Platform. Locally Available. i could have one tomorrow. What i used to hold as the Holy Grail of home espresso has been relegated to a reasonable Compromise. I talk myself into this option. then on the weekend, i stop by a favorite Cafe, and it's there. It's Beautiful, It's orange. SLAYER.

My head spins once again.

Enough of the Drama, I need help to weigh the pro's and Con's, here are my thoughts.

Slayer.
The Good
-It is THE SLAYER. It's beautiful, Customizable, Flow profiling, Powerful, Handbuilt. I feel like i don't really even need to tout it's validity.
The Less Good
-I could have a GS/3 AND a K10/E10 for the cost of a UNCOSTOMIZED Slayer.
-Boilers are uninsulated, may produce a lot of extra heat in the summer, as well as consume more power when Idle.( I know, like a Ferrari owner complaining of Fuel Mileage, but i think a valid point.)
-10-12 Weeks of Agonizing wait. I am in no rush, but if purchased, the anticipation would eat me alive.
-Lesser installed Base, Less familiar Users, Less time on current design. Local support may or may not be a factor, some parts here at the Distributor, Likely support if required, but not the same as La Marzocco.
-Plumb in Only. not a huge issue, but you never know...

La Marzocco GS/3 MP
The Good
-Local Support. Large distributer for La Marzocco here in Town. Parts stocked locally, as well as a local service tech should the need arise.
-I can go pick it up today, And be pulling shots tonight.
-I can have a GS/3 and a Titan Grinder for the Same Price as Slayer.
-Highly regarded, High performance, Large installed Base, many familiar users for support and knowledge.
-Tank/plumb in options.
-Insulated Boilers. Should run Cooler, consume less power.
-Beautiful in it's own right.
The Less Good
-It's not the SLAYER.
-Grouphead maintenance. Not a huge Deal, I'm handy, parts are cheap, not to mention local support.
-no Flow profiling. I plan to plumb in, so the line pressure pre-infusion will be available.

I know I will Be happy with Both Machines, I know they will both Perform wonderfully. What i don't know is if I buy the GS/3 will i wish i had bought the Slayer? The More i Think about it, the More the GS/3 is the practical choice, But, You know what they say. Everything in Moderation, especially Moderation...

Before i get Railroaded with Grinder Comments, i just Haven't brought myself to purchase something that will retain more, make more mess and be more intensive to operate for a incremental (from research) improvement in the cup. when the day comes, i am waiting on some real world feedback on the new E10.

Thoughts?

I have searched and read, many threads, articles etc. This one is particularly helpful.
La Marzocco GS/3 or Slayer one group?

-

Defleshed (original poster)

#2: Post by Defleshed (original poster) »

I might Add, I have been in contact with 3 Parties, the Slayer Distributor, the La Marzocco dealer, and Kees in Holland, However, the time frame is equivalent for the Speedster and the Slayer, the cost is likely more, considering the Freight, Duties etc. I love the Speedster, but if it's fathomable to believe, the Slayer is more practical for me.

spiffdude

#3: Post by spiffdude »

I say get the one your heart wants. I did this with my latest car purchase and although it was not the most practical nor cost efficient choice, it still puts a smile to my face every morning i start the engine. I suspect the Slayer will do the same for you!
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

Fluffeepuff

#4: Post by Fluffeepuff replying to spiffdude »

Agree :mrgreen:

There's a lot of emotion and art that goes in espresso, so trying to stick just with the logical/rational thought train isn't always giving you what YOU really want.

Both machines are great. To be clear, to you still plan to upgrade your grinder even if you go with the more expensive option (the Slayer)??

#5: Post by Defleshed (original poster) replying to Fluffeepuff »

Yes, However every that I feel the need to upgrade, i spend hours reading pro's and Cons, retention this, clumping that, bumping, sweeping, brushing(not for me) and i come away with a renewed appreciation for my little Vario.

I am not one to bump sweep and brush or whatever ritual everyone does, in my mind the new E10 shows promise. time will tell. I shimmed up my Vario adjusters the other Day and am finding it much more consistent, i could see the levers wiggling while grinding, more noticeably at single origin finer grind settings. maybe the looseness of the detents allows the actual burr gap to vary slightly during grind, causing slight inconsistencies?

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

My rationalization would be considering you will be using this for a long time, the difference in price seems like something that would be forgotten soon enough. In other words, you can depreciate the feeling you overpaid for an espresso machine over time!

People value money differently. I'd get the Slayer. I tend to value what I want over money (sometimes to my detriment!)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Fluffeepuff

#7: Post by Fluffeepuff »

I also think the compak e10 is a really impressive grinder. It is between the e10 and the ceado e92, and based on all the things I've seen on this forum I'm leaning towards the ceado for an on-demand grinder. Check it out if you haven't already.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Defleshed wrote: I love the Speedster, but if it's fathomable to believe, the Slayer is more practical for me.
How so?
LMWDP 267

Feuros

#9: Post by Feuros »

You only live once right?

#10: Post by Defleshed (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:How so?

My thoughts:

the base price is higher then the slayer. then i was quoted 330 euro's to ship, not including canadian Duty and Taxes, so it would be substantially more. no real local support, however i think anyone who works on LM should be able to work on it.
-the time frame is about the same as the slayer, maybe longer depending if the 120v special order increases lead time.

Maybe "Less Practical" was the incorrect term, but placed side by side with pretty much the same Pro's and Con's, the Slayer Stirs my heart more.