My Heart vs. My brain, GS/3, Slayer, Speedster musings... - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

Do you have local support for the Slayer? Put the two machines side by side. Remove the covers & compare the build quality & features. You'll see why the Speedster cost more.

You obviously WANT the Slayer so why even bother starting a "which one" thread. Buy the machine you really want & you will never have to second guess/regret your choice.
LMWDP 267

Defleshed (original poster)

#12: Post by Defleshed (original poster) »

Fluffeepuff wrote:I also think the compak e10 is a really impressive grinder. It is between the e10 and the ceado e92, and based on all the things I've seen on this forum I'm leaning towards the ceado for an on-demand grinder. Check it out if you haven't already.

Thanks for the tip, The E92 looks promising, however i cannot find a source for it in canada, as well while doing some searching it brought up some info on the Macap M7D, which seems better recieved then the M4, we have a local dealer, i don't believe they carry the M7 but i am going to Email for some info, if they can get it, price, etc. This is the reason i still use my Vario, so many options, all with their negatives (the Vario included).

Advertisement

#13: Post by Defleshed (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Do you have local support for the Slayer? Put the two machines side by side. Remove the covers & compare the build quality & features. You'll see why the Speedster cost more.

You obviously WANT the Slayer so why even bother starting a "which one" thread. Buy the machine you really want & you will never have to second guess/regret your choice.

There is a Local Distributor here for Slayer, who is actually Related to the owner of Slayer. there are several Commercial Slayers here as well. My points were similarities the Speedster, not points against it.

I think the build quality is good with the Slayer, but the Quality of the Speedster is renowned as obsessive.

Thanks for your input, now i am back to a party of 3. You are 100% correct that i WANT the SLayer more, however i am trying to weight the pro's and cons and make the best decision, i truly believe there is no wrong answer, In the end i desire all 3, and will have to live with my decision for a very long time. The Intent of this thread is to exchange opinions and ideas so i can be more confident in my choice.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by JohnB. »

When comparing the cost of each machine take into consideration what is included. This is a list of what is currently included in the crate along with each Speedster:
  • Filter holder 2-cups stainless steel
  • Filter holder 1-cup stainless steel
  • Two high-pressure water supply hoses, each 1.5 m (5 ft)
  • One high pressure water supply hose, 0.5 m (20 in)
  • Discharge hose, inner diameter 16 mm (0.64 in)
  • Stainless steel hose clamp for discharge hose
  • BRITA Purity C50 Quell ST water filtering system with variable bypass and water hardness test kit.
  • Stainless steel tamper
  • Blind filter
  • Jar with cleaning powder
  • Group brush
  • Group screen extractor
  • Drain hose
  • Speedster T-shirt extra large
  • 2 shot glasses
  • USB flash drive with comprehensive user and maintenance manual
  • Spare parts : there are various spare parts included with the machine to facilitate service and routine maintenance.
LMWDP 267

#15: Post by Defleshed (original poster) »

Your Comments have prompted me to reopen my case for the Speedster. I also see that you like motorcycles, Bicycles, and obviously, Coffee. I feel like i am in good company.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by Terranova »

The shape of the Speedster is polarizing.
So you have to like it, also the fake right turning knob, which was only implemented to have it look symmetrically.

Built quality is nearly the same and opening the Slayer will also end up with a smile on your face.

Both machines are not able for "stage ramping" like the Synesso is (at least 4 stages)

With the Slayer you need a finer grind setting than with any other machine.

If this is due to the needle valve, I don't know.

The support of all these 3 high end machines no matter if Kees, Mark Barnett, or Jason is maximum professional and user friendly.

I had to deal with all of them, it cannot get any better than this.

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 »

This guy faced the heart versus brain quandary a couple of years ago... and forsook his heart in a very extreme way:
RegulatorJohnson wrote:If you can believe it.

A friend/my boss sold his GS/3 to get the BDB.

And he is super happy. I went over and checked it out. Now I have one also. These machines are no joke. Totally worth it at twice the price.

I love this machine.

Jon
From this thread right here on hb.
Quick look at Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine

I know when the Breville was Scaced by Mark Prince against the GS/3, it came out slightly better in terms of temperature control and stability, but it's plastic and computer chips instead of steel and brass. Choosing something like the BDB over something like a GS/3 would be the epitome of brain over heart.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by uscfroadie »

pcrussell50 wrote:This guy faced the heart versus brain quandary a couple of years ago... and forsook his heart in a very extreme way:

From this thread right here on hb.
Quick look at Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine

I know when the Breville was Scaced by Mark Prince against the GS/3, it came out slightly better in terms of temperature control and stability, but it's plastic and computer chips instead of steel and brass. Choosing something like the BDB over something like a GS/3 would be the epitome of brain over heart.

-Peter
I have both a Breville Double Boiler and a GS/3 ... and I know the person you quoted - John Stovall (RegulatorJohnson) - well. He served the best coffee in probably all of Utah when he lived there before moving back to California.

Yes, a Breville Double Boiler is a fantastic bargain and pulls a mighty fine shot, but it's no GS/3 Strada MP. I did a ton of side-by side testing between the two; some blind, some not. The GS/3 just pulled shots with more body and much better mouthfeel. Is it 5 times better than the BDB as the price would indicate? No, but really anytime you go above a Breville in price the margns of gain are small ... very small.

To date, the best shot I've ever had was pulled on a new paddled Linea with beans ground on an Anfim Super Caimano. That same shop now has a two-group Slayer with two Mazzer Roburs, but I've never had a shot as good as what the owner, Aaron, pulled on that LM/Anfim combo.
Merle

pcrussell50

#19: Post by pcrussell50 »

That's a good data point from a useful source, Merle, as a lot of people would not have both machines in your description.

However don't read too much into my post. I was just intending to point out an extreme case of head-over-heart.

I know good and well that nobody who is looking at Slayers Speedsters and GS/3's is going to consider BDB no matter how good its temperature control or how good the shots.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

UseIt4Toddy

#20: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Have to ask, did you still have your Cremina in the mix when doing these side-by-sides? Would be interested to hear how you thought it compared to both. I have access to a Slayer at the shop, and I have to say that I would take my best Cremina shots over it any day of the week. (Perfectly willing to admit that this might very well mean that I need to play around with the Slayer more.)

Don't get me wrong. If I had the cash, there would be a Slayer in my kitchen right now. Pulled plenty of shots on a Strada MP, and I have to say that the feel of a Slayer paddle trumps the LMs by a quite a margin, IMHO. Hoping someday I might be able to follow my heart on this one.

Cheers,

uscfroadie wrote:I have both a Breville Double Boiler and a GS/3 ... and I know the person you quoted - John Stovall (RegulatorJohnson) - well. He served the best coffee in probably all of Utah when he lived there before moving back to California.

Yes, a Breville Double Boiler is a fantastic bargain and pulls a mighty fine shot, but it's no GS/3 Strada MP. I did a ton of side-by side testing between the two; some blind, some not. The GS/3 just pulled shots with more body and much better mouthfeel. Is it 5 times better than the BDB as the price would indicate? No, but really anytime you go above a Breville in price the margns of gain are small ... very small.

To date, the best shot I've ever had was pulled on a new paddled Linea with beans ground on an Anfim Super Caimano. That same shop now has a two-group Slayer with two Mazzer Roburs, but I've never had a shot as good as what the owner, Aaron, pulled on that LM/Anfim combo.