Moving from older small pro HX to modern espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dmankin

#1: Post by dmankin »

I have owned a Bunn ES-1A (HX, rotary, plumbed) for about 10 years. I bought it on eBay, received it after it was dropped in shipping, and went to work on fixing it up into working condition. I had great guidance from the online communities over the years, and my machine made superb espresso over the years. The experience has been rather similar to owning a British sports car. I owned an MG Midget years ago, and when it ran, it was tons of fun. But it was down more than it was running. My Bunn goes down. Not that often, but every year, there's something. I am on my 3rd main power switch, and need to send the pump out for a rebuild. I did this about 8 years ago also. Generally, the fixes are not expensive. They just take time, and effort. Unfortunately, my hands are not as good as they were when I was younger, and strength & dexterity suffer. This has me thinking...

If I were to change direction, and use a new machine for my morning coffee, I would likely see a big increase in espresso machine "up time". Being so accustomed to, and comfortable with pulling shots on a professional machine, I don't want to move to a Silvia/Gaggia Classic type machine. I like HX machines, and am also quite intrigued with a two boiler system. I am wondering if the feel of a machine like the Alex Duetto or the Vetrano 2B Evo would be similar to my Bunn ES-1A.

Anyone else move from a small professional machine to a higher-end modern machine like the Alex Duetto style machine? I'd appreciate your thoughts, or from anyone else who has some experience on these style machines.

Thanks,
David

Advertisement
kize

#2: Post by kize »

I purchased a Pasquini liva 90 and used for it 11 years. It was nicer than what i had ( which was nothing) and had a long term love/ hate relationship with it. When it was cooperating and planets were aligned it was nice with good shots- then there were days I would give up in frustration and go to my favorite coffee shop. I happened to stop in Clive coffee shop inquiring about the alex duetto II (at the time). I had done a little research and I wanted an E61- it had been around a long time and it was still being made. I also a nut for attention to design/detail- so the quickmill was off my radar. The person on the floor ( a barista in transition) showed the duetto to me, answered all my questions and pulled a shot from it and I drank. I was so mad it myself ! I had been consuming crappy espresso for to long. I went home and spent time thinking about the dual boiler with pid- all the pluses and cons. I spent more time trying to justify spending that kind of money on a machine. I pushed forward and purchased. Then gilt set in on my choice and almost cancelled the order.

I received the duetto II and took it home. Set it up and waited. 1 hour later I was in the zone and stunned at what I was drinking- better than any coffee shops around me ! I've had the girl 4.5 years now (used daily) and just replaced the original group gasket- nothing else has been done to it and works as well as the first day. Turn it on, let it heat up and go- no hx fooling around- set the temp to the coffee you are using, grind your dose, lift the lever, pull the shot and done. You might miss the volumetric dosing- which the alex doesnt have- but I prefer the KISS system- less things to quit on you. Bottom line- Once you've owned a quality dual boiler you wont go back.

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

I don't think you'll gain anything in reliability from going away from a commercial machine. All machines need maintenance. From group gaskets to sticking pstats to slightly leaky vacuum breakers to piston seals.

In any case, how is that grinder treating you? I'm intrigued by those Cunill grinders as they seem to be everywhere but testimonials comparing them to other grinders are very scarce. 59mm burrs right?
I like that they produce their own burrs and motors and that they seem to focus a lot on silence.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

JonF

#4: Post by JonF »

I also followed a rather typical upgrade route. Krups to Spidem to Rivera lever to Livia 90 and, at the moment, La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 II. I used the Livia for years, and still have it as backup. But I have really come to appreciate having a dual-boiler. For me, if the Livia (HX) was on too long I just could not cool it enough. If it was not on long enough, I had other problems. With the Vivaldi, I can keep the brew boiler on all day and get the same result time after time. As an added bonus, on the Livia any residue on the screens was REALLY baked on. The Vivaldi just does not run that hot so it's way easier to clean. For me, steaming upgrade was also huge.

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

Bluecold wrote:I don't think you'll gain anything in reliability from going away from a commercial machine. All machines need maintenance. From group gaskets to sticking pstats to slightly leaky vacuum breakers to piston seals.
+1
Basically same E61 group (except volumetric version versus manual), same rotary pump etc.

With Duetto or 2B (or long list of other E61 prosumer double boiler machines) you would gain ability to change brew temperature on the fly at the expense of far less steaming power than you have now.

OTOH having to replace the main power switch 3 times, that's seems a weak point. Probably/possibly switch used not spec'd for a lot of constant on/off but rather turn on and leave on use.
Mike McGinness

Espresso_Monkey

#6: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

I bought a Vibiemme Domobar double boiler (PID). It makes great espresso. Maybe not as nuanced as the Slayers and La Marzoccos, but at a much lower price point.

These level of HX and DBs are all prosumer, using a mixture of commercial and domestic parts.
Reliability will be commensurate.

I probably bought a bit of a lemon myself, but in the last four years I've had to replace the:
- PID unit
- No return valve
- Lever valves thrice!
- pstat

I suspect (and hope) that I'm the exception rather than the norm however.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I can't disagree with other posts so far. One mentioned keeping your Bunn as a backup. I like that idea. I've got a stable of vintage machines but am never caught short because several are always in working order.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
LukeFlynn

#8: Post by LukeFlynn »

Not sure if it fits your price range, but the only thing I see that really offers something very different is something in the Linea Mini class (GS/3 etc), you probably wouldn't sacrifice durability (being a La Marzocco). As far as shots, I can't say what the difference would be in the cup, likely similar though. You wouldn't sacrifice steam power either, the LMLM is a serious steamer from what I've seen. You would also gain the ability to adjust temperature. It's not an E61, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

lain2097

#9: Post by lain2097 »

Funny how I recently replaced my Bunn ES-1A with a gs/3. I remember reading posts from you and getting help with my es1a from the old yahoo group days.

I've owned my share of restaurant rehab machines and yes there is a certain upkeep with them. To be fair the Bunn has less issues than other HXs, from stripped brass threads,snapped bolts, leaky fittings and the usual mounds of scale, at last most were standard parts.

Personally you're on the right track, once you've got used to the convince of plumb going backwards to vibe pumps kinda sucks. The e61 thing is sort of a whatever feature once you're in these class machines in my opinion.

Though on the flip side, there's no machine with little to no maintenance, same procon pumps and basic mechanics for any make, LM included.

GS/3 is way more dough but hey no more compromises, and for once I bought a BRAND NEW machine. :)

Most of the newer rotary single group machines would be a great 'step up' from the es1a, R58, Alex, Musica LM Mini, gs3 and so on.

dmankin (original poster)

#10: Post by dmankin (original poster) »

I wish there was a budget for a GS/3. Those are beyond sweet! I'm gonna have a hard enough time justifying a $2,500 machine like the Duetto. The temptation is there, though!