Missing advert for a gram scale

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Psyd

#1: Post by Psyd »

I was here a coupla weeks ago, and there was an ad for a great scale, 4000 g in 0.1 g increments, for sale from just under $40 to just over $20., on one of the fora that I perused ('Marketplace' or 'Knockbox', I'm pretty sure).

I thought that I had bookmarked it for future reference if my scale dies, but the first thing apparently didn't happen, and the second thing has.

I'd love to have something that does at least a kilo, 0.1g resolution, and will operate on battery if I need it to.
Anyone remember who had that scale? Or another with the qualities that I have listed?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

tburres

#2: Post by tburres »

Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

I like it, big enough to do drip but small enough for espresso. http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-SC ... 001RF3XJ2/

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

Mark Prince also recommends the American Weigh SC-2KG - but I would not, unless you happen to have both 1kg and 2kg calibration weights on hand. Unlike my other two digital scales, the SC-2KG calibration was off by 0.4g at 200g (the others were dead on). It's not a bad scale, but there's nothing outstanding about it. The 2kg capacity makes it convenient for drip brewing, but I prefer my Triton T2 for espresso.
John

roadman
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by roadman »

Any recommendations for a digital scale that doesn't have an automatic shutoff feature? Or a scale that waits at least 5 minutes before shutting off?

My last scale would shut off in the time it took to make drip coffee. I'd pause before adding more water and the scale would shut itself off. Drove me nuts.

okmed

#6: Post by okmed replying to roadman »

The AWS SC-2KGA has a plug in adapter that comes with it and when using it plugged in it will not time out and shut off. The only down side I've found with this unit is its response time. As you add the last few beans to trim to your desired weight, it takes 2 or 3 seconds for the screen to respond to the weight change. Otherwise it's very nice.

rpavlis

#7: Post by rpavlis »

I have always preferred mechanical devices to electronic marvels because they are dramatically easier to maintain and generally are far more reliable. They generally work for decades instead of months (like some electronic load cell devices.) Several years ago I noticed a "Dial-o-gram" balance in a dumpster.

It was amazingly dirty, and it would not adjust to zero. I suspect the reason it was in the trash was that the people who had it did not understand how to adjust these. Under the pan there is a little chamber that can be opened with a screw driver. Rough adjustment is made by putting things (like coins, washers, etc.) in this chamber until the thing nearly says zero with nothing on the pans. Then the little knob on the upper left can be turned for fine adjustment.

This model is particularly easy to use. There is an aluminium fin that protrudes into a magnet so that it does not oscillate when mass is placed in the balance pan.

New ones cost about $US200. Used ones, when one can find them go for very little. On line auctions and University surplus auctions are a good place to look. I have also seen them in consignment antique shops.

Sadly you may not be lucky enough to find one in a trash bin!

DanGE

#8: Post by DanGE »

rpavlis wrote:I have always preferred mechanical devices to electronic marvels because they are dramatically easier to maintain and generally are far more reliable. They generally work for decades instead of months (like some electronic load cell devices.) Several years ago I noticed a "Dial-o-gram" balance in a dumpster.
Well stated - thanks.
In searching for this type of mechanical device, ebay was my friend, not free as in your "Dial-o-gram" but... $6 shipped = affordable.
Item 370857880028 - is a "pennyweight scale" and it is an easy conversion to grams - 1 pennyweight (dwt) = 1.55 grams. This scale is nice because it has a range that puts the 8 to 25 grams used for single/double espresso in the middle of the device range. The only thing missing is a reference weight to verify the scale readings.
One other thing - this scale appears to be made in USA, which should be important, but usually is not important. Every little bit helps as we keep in mind worldwide balance of trade and national debt. It seems nice to exclude Italy from this consideration because probably most espresso grinders and lever machines are made in Italy.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

DanGE wrote:Item 370857880028 - is a "pennyweight scale" and it is an easy conversion to grams - 1 pennyweight (dwt) = 1.55 grams. This scale is nice because it has a range that puts the 8 to 25 grams used for single/double espresso in the middle of the device range.
This ebay pennyweight scale appears to have a precision of +/- 0.5 pennyweight (at best), making it a poor choice for espresso.
rpavlis wrote:I have always preferred mechanical devices to electronic marvels because they are dramatically easier to maintain and generally are far more reliable.
My three digital scales have all functioned flawlessly for years, and couldn't be easier to use.

You guys crack me up. :lol:
John

DanGE

#10: Post by DanGE »

RapidCoffee wrote:This ebay pennyweight scale appears to have a precision of +/- 0.5 pennyweight (at best), making it a poor choice for espresso.
Ya gotta hone yer calibrated eyeball.
That is a task, but so is lever espresso.
You are correct - the pennyweight scale does not get me to 0.1 gram, but I posit that the calibrated eyeball gets better than +/- 0.5 pennyweight. Plus... I didn't pollute the China landscape - the USA landscape was polluted making this metal gizmo 40 years ago. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. ;-)