Microfoam possible on Bellman stovetop steamer?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CrookedChris

#1: Post by CrookedChris »

First, hello forum! I've been a long time lurker but this is my first post. I've gleaned lots of great information already from the abundance of informative and forthcoming individuals on the forum.

I've got a Mypressi Twist and a Kyocera hand grinder and I'm looking for a way to steam milk well. I've done the shake-shake-shake the milk in a jar method, the motorized spinning whisk method, the french-press style plunger method and every time I feel like I'm ruining a very good espresso with airy, big bubbled, hot milk. I feel like there's got to be a way to get microfoam at home without a huge investment. Afterall, I'd have a nice counter top espresso machine instead of handheld equipment if I wanted to make a big investment.

I've searched the forums and there's been some chatter about the Bellman stovetop unit but I haven't been able to find (here or elsewhere on the net) a good thurough review of the bellman unit. So let me boil it down to a simple question. Hopefully someone here has used one of these enough to help me out.

Can someone who can get decent microfoam on a more pricey prosumer espresso machine (my wife) get the same quality results, or at least close, on a Bellman stovetop steamer?

Thanks!

The Bellman: http://fantes.com/milk-frothers.html

zin1953

#2: Post by zin1953 »

Well, I never could . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

kupe

#3: Post by kupe »

All these posts about these Bellmans are making me want to record a video of mine in action. I've got a busy weekend, but I'll see if I can record one and post it within a week. I don't think I ever saw a video demonstration when I was considering my purchase, so I figure it might be useful to some people. There's more discussion on this topic here:

Will this unit steam milk as good as my Alexia?

zffej

#4: Post by zffej »

I have something similar to the Bellman. I can get OK to good microfoam, but not excellent. The steam is just a bit too wet. I always left the burner on when steaming and used an oven mitt.

CrookedChris (original poster)

#5: Post by CrookedChris (original poster) »

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Kupe, I'd love it if you could share a video. I think it would be really helpful.

The feeling I'm getting from the fact that there seems to be quite a broad range of experience and opinions is that this is something that's probably very stove and user dependent. Maybe some stove-tops get hotter than others, perhaps some have more patience... who knows?

But regardless of that variation it doesn't look like anyone is arguing anywhere on the internets that this thing is worse than the alternatives I mentioned in my first post which are all, in my experience, not so great.

Given the apparent rising popularity of the Mypressi this looks like a really good market for an innovation. I am an engineer...

Address7

#6: Post by Address7 »

Hi Chris - I use a MyPressi and a Bellman for now, as my Elektra Semi is currently disabled. I can only compare the microfoam to what I used to get on the Elektra, but the Elektra is known to make excellent microfoam.

I can get pretty good texture from the Bellman, although I can't get the milk to swirl enough to get totally consistent microfoam - I usually end up with a cotton ball in the middle. Still, it has pretty good steaming power on my gas stove. I do have one problem - even the small burners on my range are too big, so I have to move it over half of the flame, which means it takes at least 10 minutes to heat up. Once it's heated up fully, I get pretty good dry steam. I usually let it get hot enough that the safety valve is close to opening.

I have considered getting an plug in electric element for heating, but I don't really think it will make much difference. I have seen electric Bellman's on ebay occasionally; not sure if these would be better.

In the end, I would still rather drink a cappa made with my MyPressi and my Bellman than buy a drink from any of the coffee shops within 25 miles. But I miss my Elektra.

Enjoy your experience, James

#7: Post by CrookedChris (original poster) »

An Elektra eh? I think that's such an amazing looking machine. I'd like one just to have as a piece of art in my kitchen if not for the coffee.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy one. As far as I can tell there's no other option that's going to get me as close to what I want for as little cash as the Bellman.

I've got a glass top electric stove and the heat distribution across the small "burners" is very even so maybe I'll have better heat than those on bigger gas stoves get. I'm also considering adding some insulation (a trick I use to keep heat up on the heat exchanger I use for brewing beer) to the Bellman when I get it to see if I can keep the heat and this the steam force & volume up.

Carneiro

#8: Post by Carneiro »

I've got a Bellman steamer today. I've just done 3 attempts, I did stretch the milk, I did get a whirlpool, but could have microfoam. I'll try more tomorrow and let you know about it.

It seems to me that there are some steam coming from the tip bottom - does anybody know if the tip is screwed? If it is, maybe a little bit of Dow 111 could fix this.

Márcio.

#9: Post by CrookedChris (original poster) »

I did order one of these as well. I've used it a half dozen times so far.

I crank the heat all the way up on my stove when I use it and fill it about 1/3 full and then wait until the pressure relief valve starts spurting a bit. I then turn the heat down a little from 10 to 8 on my electric stove and do my steaming.

This is definitely more aggressive than the manufacturers operating instructions but it produces a stronger drier flow of steam than putting it on medium-high as suggested in the instructions.

I've been using a 12oz rattleware pitcher filled with about 4 oz of milk.

I get a strong whirlpool but it takes a bit longer than I would like to stretch and heat the milk. I do get some microfoam. With one small & inconsistent exception the steamed milk I'm producing is better than what I've had at any of the coffee shops in our city of 113 thousand.

Obviously I'm not getting the quality and consistency that I've experienced at excellent coffee shops (in cities with a more enlightened coffee culture) or that experienced home baristas get with their much more expensive espresso machines but I didn't expect to either. I also think that with more experience my results will improve.

All in all I'm happy. I think it's the best option you'll find for the money. It's certainly better than any of those other options I listed in my original post.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

I've been practicing a little bit more with the Bellman lately, and I'm beginning to see a little progress. I think the one large hole is making it harder for me to get the hang of it, but I did manage to get some microfoam started and get a whirlpool to start going before I flubbed it. Since I just got in two pounds of Ecco Espresso, I'll have an excuse to practice more with this.

The Bellman I picked up was missing the coffee basket and some gaskets (came cheaper because of this) so I used the gasket from one of those hinged top Italian jars which seems to be working just fine.

I also find that after I take it off the burner and clean the steam wand, if I want to pull a second cappuccino and I haven't cracked open the Bellman yet, the recovery time after putting it back on the burner isn't too bad.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272