Mazzer Super Jolly, Macap Conical MXKR, Cimbali Max Hybrid: Which is better for drip?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Cafesp

#1: Post by Cafesp »

Any HB can share your thought ? :roll:

I have only a little more than 24 hrs to get one! the special edition HB3 one. :lol:

Cafesp
Love is in the air, Taste it!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Do you mean drip coffee only? Or switching between widely different grind settings? If the latter, the Super Jolly is the clear winner since the other two have worm drive adjustments. The MXKR is a possibility if you're willing to modify it slightly. The turning mechanism can "swivel" back out of the way temporarily to allow the adjustment collar to move freely.
Dan Kehn

Cafesp (original poster)

#3: Post by Cafesp (original poster) »

Thanks Dan for lightning fast to reply :D

Which one of them is best for dripping ONLY !
I think I'd like to keep my CMH for Espresso ONLY over Versalab, MXKR and SJ ( but open for ADVICE 8) )

Cafesp

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Sorry, I have no idea which is best for drip coffee since they're designed with espresso in mind. If I was shopping for a dedicated drip grinder of similar caliber, I would choose a doserless Rocky Rancilio. It has good solid construction and is easy to adjust. Depending on the humidity in your area, static can be a problem for Rocky, but it's manageable.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

I have a Cimbali Jr (flat burr) and Cimbali Max (conical hybrid) for espresso. I do 'think' I notice a difference between the two grinders even for drip coffee. The difference in espresso is even more pronounced but changing from one to the other on a micro adjustable grinder is a pain. So I have one for each brew method.
Dave Stephens

Cafesp (original poster)

#6: Post by Cafesp (original poster) »

Each grinder type has its own grind particles. I don't know among them, ( SJ flat burr, MXKR conical, CMH mix conical&flat ), which one produces the coffee grind particles best suits for drip brew method ?

I used my CMH for drip coffee while waiting for the S1 VII delivery, and were stunned by its taste. After dialing CMH to grind for espresso, I like it more and use Versalab grinder just for the after midnight decaf espresso.

Still looking for drip coffee grinder, :roll: or might crazy upgrade to Mazzer Robur :shock: for espresso grind and save CMH for drip :roll:

Cafesp

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

Espresso grinders are designed to produce fines, and thereby do worse for brewed coffees than grinders designed specifically to produce no or few fines like the large Ditting or Mahlkoenig grinders. I would think even a grinder designed for supermarkets, like the Bunn, which are easy to find on Ebay, and for which burr replacement is inexpensive, would do better for drip or any steeping method.
Jim Schulman

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

HB wrote:Sorry, I have no idea which is best for drip coffee since they're designed with espresso in mind. If I was shopping for a dedicated drip grinder of similar caliber, I would choose a doserless Rocky Rancilio. It has good solid construction and is easy to adjust. Depending on the humidity in your area, static can be a problem for Rocky, but it's manageable.
Dan...have to agree totally with you on this....
I owned a Rocky DL for a year....multi-purpose...It did an awesome job on vac and press pot..as well as drip...the press pot grind was even better than on my pristine SJ. I now use a Solis Maestro for all but espresso...serves my needs.Another reason the Rocky would also be a great choice for the OP as it would serve as an alt espresso grinder in the (un) likely event the Cimbali fails.

Cafesp (original poster)

#9: Post by Cafesp (original poster) »

Correct me if I'm wrong! Andys has Mazzer for espresso and his M3 for french press! ? :roll:
If that the case, I wonder which one should I go ( Versalab or Rocky )

Cafesp

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter replying to Cafesp »

This has to be a joke?