Mazzer Mini with Super Jolly burrs

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Body

#1: Post by Body »

Hi Baristas

Mazzer Mini E burrs - Does replacing with Super Jolly burrs make a difference?

I would give this subject a new shot because I wanna buy a new grinder, the Mazzer Min. After 4 years working with pleasure with the Vario I am ready to buy a new grinder.

I read a lot about the Mini with SJ burrs. These posts were some years old and I m wondering about the experiences. And what about the 250 W motor, still no problems? Is the quality of the coffee also better?

What is wise, buying a new Mini with burrs of a SJ or swapping this after a while?

Thanks

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

The standard Mini won't be an upgrade in taste for your Vario and with the Super Jolly-burrs it will be a marginal upgrade in terms of taste. the Mini will however have a better build quality (standard) and grind faster (SJ burrs). So if you want an upgrade tastewise the Mini will not be the route to take.

I know a lot of people having SJ-burrs in their Mini's for a couple of years but all is well. The only problem could be overheating due to the more aggresive cut of the SJ burrs but that will be very hard in an home environment. You have to make 20-30 espresso's an hour to get this problem.

If you want an upgrade tastewise then have a look at the ProM, K30 or 80mm+ flat burr grinders. Another option will be 68mm+ conical burr grinders. those are the only ones that will give you an upgrade tastewise.

Body (original poster)

#3: Post by Body (original poster) »

Thanks Erik for the information.

In my cause it wouldn't be an upgrade. My Vario is already 4 years and I would like to have some solid. The burr adjustment is too sensitive.

I am only wondering if its worth to have burrs of SJ in a mini and does it make a taste difference. :?:

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

If you buy a Mini electronic then put Super Jolly burrs in it. It makes the Mini so much better and put it in a different class. Grind consistency will also be better.

mtl_514

#5: Post by mtl_514 »

Hi!

I have been using the Mini E for about a year. Upgraded to SJ burrs (Dura-Mill titanium aftermarket replacement) about 2 months ago...

grinds MUCH faster now, about twice as fast.

This is my first serious grinder and I love it!!

Body (original poster)

#6: Post by Body (original poster) »

I am still wondering what makes the Mini so much better?

The grinds is faster, about twice as fast but is it not the taste we were are looking for?

Hope you can convince me..

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn »

I don't know how accurate this post will be, considering I have an actual SJ.. but I replaced the burrs with the stock mazzer 33ms... I can say one thing.. the grind is SUPER consistent, and barely any clumping.. I don't know if any of those characteristics would carry over to the Mini, but I wouldn't be surprised.. Bigger flat burrs typically means better in most regards, to my understanding.

If you are still considering a Mazzer, I love my SJ, despite its 20 years of age. I used a mini in a cafe once (They used it as a secondary grinder for testing stuff like single origins) it was alright, I'm sure bigger burrs would make the thing so much better.

erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

Body wrote:I am still wondering what makes the Mini so much better?

The grinds is faster, about twice as fast but is it not the taste we were are looking for?

Hope you can convince me..
First thing and very important is grind consistency (most people don't think about this factor). Less fiddling with the grind settings and that alone is worth it. And tastewise I was comparing it to the absolute best grinders available. The Super Jolly burrs will give the Mini a real nice upgrade. Super Jolly quality at a Mini footprint. Maybe not a real big improvement in taste but it will be an improvement and for the $30 a set of SJ burrs cost you'll be crazy to not do it.

Body (original poster)

#9: Post by Body (original poster) replying to erik82 »

So the improvement is more in the way of grinding and not much in taste if I do understand.