Mazzer Mini type A or Quamar M80 on demand?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeeclone

#1: Post by coffeeclone »

Mazzer mini type A or Quamar M80 on demand? Big difference in price, what's the difference in performance? I currently have a Silvia, plan to upgrade to a dual boiler sometime in the next year (R58 V2 or Alex duetto III). Also I'm the only one in my home who drinks coffee, usually one drink every morning during the week, sometimes two per morning on weekends. Am I going to be able to realize the difference in performance or should I get the M80 and take the difference to save for my new machine sooner?

Nick Name

#2: Post by Nick Name replying to coffeeclone »

I've got an Quamar and while it is a very capable grider, the Pharos is supreme.

AND btw, updating your espresso machine won't make a difference. Updating your grinder will.

coffeeclone (original poster)

#3: Post by coffeeclone (original poster) »

Sorry I should clarify, my reasons for eventually updating the machine are 1) to maintain a stable and accurate temp when pulling shots and wanting this consistency shot to shot, and im not considering adding a PID to Silvia due to ....reason 2) the dual boiler means no wait time between brew and steam, which is important to me as I have limited time in the mornings and am generally frustrated with waiting on my Silvia.

Tisserand

#4: Post by Tisserand »

I have a Silvia and a Mazzer Mini-E A, and I'm very happy with the combination :D .

I'm not very familiar with the Quamar, though the 63mm burrs should be comparable to the Mazzer's 64mm. The Quamar has a more powerful motor, and since they both are 1600RPM, I would expect the Quamar to grind faster. If I were buying new, I would probably go with the Quamar because with Mazzer, you tend to pay for the name.

That being said, I love my Mini-E. I bought mine second hand off of a cafe who used it for two years as a decaf grinder, for $400. It has made a huge difference in the consistency and quality of my pulls. I generally will buy secondhand if I can and since Mazzers are built like tanks, you can't really go wrong other than having to swap out the burrs. My overall thoughts:
-Grind consistency is excellent
-I find the Mazzer adjustment mechanism very easy to adjust, contrary to some on HB :roll:
-I only use the timer once I've really dialed in a bag of beans, and it's very consistent if you don't change the grind. I weigh down to 0.1g most days.
-Clumping is minimal, but it seems to be closely related to the beans. Some just clump more than others. I still WDT and it only costs me ~10 seconds.

On the Silvia: My Silvia is PID, and though I don't make milk drinks on weekdays, I can say for certain that the PID helps to get things done faster. If you brew then steam, there's no real temperature surfing anyway. If you're steaming on weekday mornings though, I can appreciate why a dual boiler would be a good upgrade.