Mazzer grinder dosing options

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dgkula

#1: Post by dgkula »

Hi,

I'm presently using a 2000 Silvia with current OPV set at 10 bar and Rocky Doser and getting decent espresso from my bottomless portafilter. I will probably add a PID this year but am having good results temp surfing. I buy two 12 oz bags of Klatch Belle Espresso every two to three weeks. I open one immediately and store beans in an airtight tinted container and throw the other in the freezer until i am ready to open it. I am finding that as the beans age a bit that I would like to be able to move the grind to compensate but the stepped adjustments of the Rocky are limiting, i.e. each step is larger than I would like.

I am looking at the Mazzer line and it looks like there are two primary options for dosing: a dose on a grinder that runs on a timer like the Mini and SJ, and an electronic doser that is adjustable via a screw like on the Mini elect type B. I like the idea of controlled dosing as now I eyeball my dose in the Rocky and as a result there is some variation in dosing. I do have a 0.1 gram scale so I do know what 14g looks like in the basket pre and post tamp as a point of reference. but if I am going to upgrade my grinder, it would be nice to set and forget the dosing.

so on theory I am leaning towards the mazzer mini elec type b but was wondering how easy it is to use the timer on the doser models like mini and sj to easily get consistent dosing. it looks like the timer is twist type and so it might depend on turning to the right setting on the timer each time? would anyone who uses a mini or sj with doser and timer be able to share how you get consistent doses?

thanks,
David

walshman

#2: Post by walshman »

FWIW I have a Mazzer with a doser. I chuck in around 20g and grind the lot, fill the portafilter so the chamber is empty, weigh my 18g and bin the other 2g. I'm not sure there is an accurate way of turning the timer dial to get an accurate measurement?

Aaron

#3: Post by Aaron »

I would recommend getting any Mazzer, whichever is in your budget, and single dosing before you grind. If you want 14g then weigh 14g and only put this amount in the grinder. This will be easier than eye balling 14g coming out of the grinder. And you don't have to spend the extra money on the electronic version. I and a lot of others dose this way. For a shop this technique would be too slow, but for home baristas this is a consistent technique.
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

dgkula (original poster)

#4: Post by dgkula (original poster) »

Interesting idea thx. Since I don't change coffee very often I imagine I might be able to tune a scoop to be able to scoop 14g each time versus having to keep my scale out on the counter all the time. It is a gemological scale that I use mostly for reloading so not really what I want on my counter with a 4 yo and 6 yo running around. It is fairly delicate and would be broken very quickly I imagine! Thx

dgkula (original poster)

#5: Post by dgkula (original poster) »

The non-electronic Mini has smaller burrs than the electronic. If I weigh before grinding and so don't need to pay the premium for dosing, is there a value to the larger burrs? Thx, David

1rider

#6: Post by 1rider »

I have the mini type B with an adjustable timer that I am relatively happy with. I will say for what the grinder retails for I had hoped the timer would provide a more consistent dose, it varies quite a bit. I did know this going into the purchase as the info is here on HB but still feel a little disappointed that I must continue to weigh every single double. For now I have been keeping the hopper full and weighing the ground coffee in the basket but I may go back to weighing beans pre-grind for each dose.
Cheers,
Patrick

Aaron

#7: Post by Aaron »

The slightly larger burrs would suggest a slightly better cup as the larger the grinder typically produces a better cup. I haven't tried both sizes to know if you can taste the difference. You will have to decide if the price difference is worth it to you. The timers aren't exact because it depends on the amount of weight in your hopper, bean type, humidity and other minor factors. So you will have some variety using the Mazzer timer. I use a small scale from Sweet Maria's, but many places would sell a very small scale. It is small enough to keep on your doser when not in use, and out of the way of small children. This would be a cheaper and more consistent dosing then using the Mazzer timer. Some people like the timer so obviously this is just my opinion :)
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

takeshi

#8: Post by takeshi »

dgkula wrote:it looks like the timer is twist type and so it might depend on turning to the right setting on the timer each time? would anyone who uses a mini or sj with doser and timer be able to share how you get consistent doses?
That timer really can't be used for consistent dosing. It's there for the cafe to fill the doser.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Not so long ago, Mazzer grinders didn't have a timer. I thought they added them as a safety feature to turn off the grinder if it was inadvertently left running (e.g., barista turns it on to fill the doser, then gets distracted). I can see how that could happen since Mazzer grinders are rather quiet when the hopper is empty.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#10: Post by Compass Coffee »

There seem to be two primary types of bean usage for shots:
1) Same bean until it's gone or even ongoing basis and
2) Often different bean including different bean shot to shot on a regular basis

The first style benefits from different usage techniques than the second even with the same grinder. And sometimes one style of grinder may be better suited for a usage pattern than another.

Timed grinding can be, is, rather repeatable for the first style. Timed digitally not by the mechanical style timer switches. I've used this method with dosered Majors and Super Jollys for years in our coffeehouses via Gralab 450 timers 0.1 resolution. Recently upgraded primary grinders to large conical electronic doserless. Purpose multi-fold in busy setting: saves time (and quieter) no thwacking and large conicals more consistent shot to shot than flat burrs. Accurate digitally timed grinding makes little sense second style when loading only a shots worth of beans in the throat/hopper. (Whether doser versus no doser makes sense in the few seconds saved and cleaniness of dispensing when single dosing is a different discussion!)

At home I'm the second style usually pulling back to back shots of different beans. For me currently a doser Super Jolly with no hopper sits on the counter. In my case I like the dumb timer switch: load the beans and place tamper in the throat to keep beans from jumping out, turn on grinder, flush DD, dry pf, grinder off brush grinder throat and burrs, briefly turn grinder back on/off, brush throat again, thwack grinds into pf. Works well with virtually zero grind waste. However, after using electronic doserless big conical at the coffeehouse considering benefits (read I hate to wait so saving a few seconds no thwacking a benefit) at home. I will also say after seven years using (and defending) Rocky which included replacing Rocky's burrs every 75-100lb to keep grind at it's peak the Super Jolly's shots are noticably better, to me.

I would take a cleaned up used fully servicable Super Jolly over Rocky or a Mini any day. And yes full disclosure I have a Super Jolly currently posted in Buy/Sell. But crap now I'm personally thinking of a large conical at home, which would mean another SJ to be listed!
Mike McGinness