Max budget of $1300 for espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

I have a set budget of $1300 for an espresso machine. I already have a separate $400 set aside for a grinder like a Baratza or Rocky.

I have (don't laugh) been using my Starbucks Barista (saeco) machine since 1998. It still runs, but I need to get a better shot and I hate the soupy puck it leaves behind.

My drinking habits: one 4 shot latte every morning of the week. On the weekends I might do two lattes, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. Every now and then I drink plain espresso shots. I might drink more shots if I had a better machine. I don't entertain much so I do not make numerous lattes at one time. My wife who always hated anything coffee just started to acquire the taste of lattes, so I might be making her some single shot lattes in the future

Now I don't understand much about the thermoblocks, the heat exchanger vs. boiler stuff. I did try and read, but frankly.... there needs to be a damn college course on this stuff. hahaha

So after all my frustrating research, I come to you all asking advice.

I won't start a fight here asking which is the 'best' for $1300, but I will ask..... Given my drinking habit and budget, which is a darn good machine for my $1300? New only please.

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

By way of a few highlights:

BDB 920XL + Vario is a formidable combination. You'll hit the limitations of the grinder long before the machine's.

CC1 + Vario is available for $1000, for the pair.

The Silvano is a nice machine, a hybrid like the CC1, a little more expensive, different, more traditional look, better steamer.

Expobar Office Lever Plus, a compact E-61 HX, is in your range.

If you're not trying to buy a machine that will last decades, and you're not already a Breville hater, the BDB is HUGE in quality in the cup, user friendliness, features and bang for the buck. If I were buying a machine for one of my (adult) kids, it would be a BDB.

Compared to what's on the market now, the Rocky is a lousy grinder. It's time passed long ago. The Vario, like the BDB, is plasticky and not built for the ages -- but a great performer.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

shingo43

#3: Post by shingo43 »

I am on the same boat, I am considering these two, please take a look.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Expobar/office_lever.cfm
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Vibiem ... -p3560.htm

I am more leaning towards to Vibiemme due to the build quality and small footprint.

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

shingo43 wrote:... due to the ... small footprint.
A small footprint is nice on the counter but a PITA to work with; in spades with a semi-auto E-61 which requires you to put your hand between the group and hot water tap.

If you've got the counter space, bigger is better.

Rich

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

Rich is correct. Once you get the hang of your machine and you are pulling more than one shot at a time you'll likely want to steam while you are pulling a shot. (Eventually anyway.) When that happens it's good to have a little more space between the group and the steam wand & valve. So if you have the counter space just a couple more inches wider on the machine is a big aid.

Today I pulled a shot, started a second shot, steamed a pitcher for the first shot, turned off the pull for the second shot, steamed the milk for the second shot, poured both milks and was done. Quick and easy without bumping around too much.
LMWDP #445

shingo43

#6: Post by shingo43 »

I assume you guys were talking about the width right?
Vibiemme Domobar Junior is 16" H x 9" W x 17" D
Expobar Office Level is 15" H x 10.5" W x 17.5" D

does it matter really?

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM replying to shingo43 »

I would say that an additional 17% width of a machine is significant. Especially when you are trying to steam and pull a shot at the same time!

If I was only pulling shots then steaming a narrow machine would be fine, but when I'm doing this for more than 1 person and I want to join them I'll steam while pulling. Faster work means a faster finish.
LMWDP #445

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

I would suggest you look at the buying advice FAQ's. A lot of what you are looking for has been detailed in there.
Dave Stephens

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze replying to cannonfodder »

I dunno Dave. The FAQs are good, and the videos are even better (h/t Dan!). However, there's very little compare and contrast for machines within particular price ranges; and AFAIK no survey of machines in the ~$1300 class is there?

It's an important market segment, populated with compact HXs from several makers, one of the better hybrids, and the hugely popular BDB. Surely a number of the machines are worth discussion of their specifics.

Rich

Intrepid510

#10: Post by Intrepid510 »

shingo43 wrote:I assume you guys were talking about the width right?
Vibiemme Domobar Junior is 16" H x 9" W x 17" D
Expobar Office Level is 15" H x 10.5" W x 17.5" D

does it matter really?
i dont think so. I had the jr for a year and regret getting rid of it. Nice machine never had an issue steaming and pulling the wand angles out so you have plently of room to steam and then you push back in when not in use.

But it rattlse like vibe machines tho.