March Madness! Entry-Level Espresso Grinder Final 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CaffeinatedCharizard

#1: Post by CaffeinatedCharizard »

By the end of the month, I'm hoping to purchase an entry-level espresso grinder. I just upgraded to a non-pressurized portafilter and have been using a Hario Mini Slim grinder.

After many hours of research, I'm down to a few candidates:
-Baratza Preciso
-Rancilio Rocky
-Breville Smart Grinder (new version with better burrs)
-Ascaso i-mini

Cast your vote; for those with experience with these machines, which would win in a battle between affordability, fineness of grind for home espresso, and consistency? This is a big purchase for me - I need the grinder to last for at least 5 years before upgrading. If you have other recommendations that aren't on my radar, I'd love to hear it!
"Don't underestimate the power of the dark roast." - Darth Vader

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

My only input would be to get a Barazta Vario over the Preciso. Try and find a refurbished one.

BruceR

#3: Post by BruceR »

Of those on the list, I've seen the Preciso recommended mos frequently, but don't have any experience with any on the list.

Have you considered a used Super Jolly (or similar)? Given that you're looking for something for espresso only (unless I misread) that will last for at least 5 years, a used commercial grinder with new burrs might be a good fit. Going this route you might also get a better resale price if you upgrade in a few years.

canuckcoffeeguy

#4: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Also consider the Lelit PL53. It has been recommended frequently as good value for the price. Do a search in this forum for the PL53. You'll get plenty of results.

The Rocky and Smart Grinder are not recommended for espresso. Most will suggest removing them from consideration.

DaveC

#5: Post by DaveC »

CaffeinatedCharizard wrote:By the end of the month, I'm hoping to purchase an entry-level espresso grinder. I just upgraded to a non-pressurized portafilter and have been using a Hario Mini Slim grinder.

After many hours of research, I'm down to a few candidates:
-Baratza Preciso
-Rancilio Rocky
-Breville Smart Grinder (new version with better burrs)
-Ascaso i-mini

Cast your vote; for those with experience with these machines, which would win in a battle between affordability, fineness of grind for home espresso, and consistency? This is a big purchase for me - I need the grinder to last for at least 5 years before upgrading. If you have other recommendations that aren't on my radar, I'd love to hear it!
I wouldn't recommend any of these ....Look for a used Mazzer Mini, Mini E or super Jolly....or similar non Mazzer grinder. If it must be new, there are much better grinders at a similar price, or perhaps slightly more. I personally don't like the Vario, but a lot of people do.

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Have a look at the Bezzera BB005. Pretty decent grinder for the money. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the grinders you listed. In my eyes they're all pretty bad at doing espressogrind. It's even better to buy a second hand commercial grinder with 64mm burrs and a 250-350W motor.

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Also consider the Lelit PL53. It has been recommended frequently as good value for the price.
Make sure you buy a pair of ear plugs! The thing screams like a banshee.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?