Mahlkonig K30 vs. Peak vs. EK43

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

Which grinder is more versatile? Or is the only difference here just the bigger burr set on the Peak? And does that warrant a $1000 premium over a $1600 K30?

There are a few folks that really like their EK43, and this is the same price as the Peak, however the Peak obviously is geared towards espresso only, while the EK43 has greater versatility for other grind types.. Only does not have as fine adjustments for espresso.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

You seem to have summarized it well. Honestly, i'm waiting for the guys at HB to do a comparison. I've asked about the peak vs k30 but haven't gotten a response as only a couple coffee shops appear to have the peak.

I have come full circle and I'm now willing to sacrifice some taste for the convenience/easy factor.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

From my impression, Mahlkonig Peak is supposed to have burrs that give a taste profile closer to EK43. It's an EK43 in K30 body. As for K30, well, it's K30. :D EK43 is EK43 in all its glory.

Peak is an 'espresso grinder' probably because of the ergonomic. It has no bag spout, only a pf cradle like K30.

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#4: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) replying to samuellaw178 »

I guess everyone is really wondering how valid it is to say the Peak an EK43 in a K30 body. I personally don't believe that. They are very different in terms of their design and operation, and, really, the only similarity is the larger burr size and even then they're very different as well. For this reason, I think it's a severe oversimplification in terms of quality comparison. The difference in burr size is larger than between a Vario and a Preciso and no one, AFAIK, has insisted those grinders produce similar grind quality.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by samuellaw178 »

I'm sure you're aware about this, but there's more than just the burrs size. Burrs design plays a bigger role than the actual diameter (Mini E 64mm vs SJ 64mm, Vario vs SJ, K30 65mm vs other bigger flat, and it's not even proven there's a significant difference between 64mm and >64mm flat burrs taste wise). EK43 is unique isn't entirely because of the burrs size, but more the burrs design (it's a brew burr design which should generate more unimodal grind distribution).

With the Peak, they are using a newly designed burrs in a K30 vario - the way it's conveyed across sounds like it's a downsized EK burrs(with some tweak to be able to pull 9-bar espresso more easily).

Here's a peek at Peak's burr:

Here for K30's:
Mahlkonig K30ES Old Version - Is Newer Version Significant?

Compare K30 to most other flat espresso burrs and they're quite the same (to my eye anyway)

Compare k30 to Peak, there's a distinct difference.

canuckcoffeeguy

#6: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

In a Tamper Tantrum podcast Matt Perger confirmed Mahlkonig wanted to put an EK43 in a K30 body.

Also, here's a screenshot from Perger's Reddit discussion. He describes the Peak's performance.

#7: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:In a Tamper Tantrum podcast Matt Perger confirmed Mahlkonig wanted to put an EK43 in a K30 body.

Also, here's a screenshot from Perger's Reddit discussion. He describes the Peak's performance.

<image>
Thanks for sharing that. It's good to know what their intention was. It should be disclosed though, just for transparency that Perger is on the Mahlkonig payroll under contract as their "ambassador" to promote their grinders, so I'll take the comments for what they're worth.

waroros

#8: Post by waroros »

I've tried all of them. Espresso from Peak is amazing. High extraction, with amazing body and mouthfeel. However, it has very high grind retention, and messy dosing.

Ek43 is more versatile, with low grind retention. However, with less body.
Let's get it slayed

Mrboots2u

#9: Post by Mrboots2u »

One is very good at Brewed - the others I imagine not so ... Proabanly waiting for cafe or or pros to get these side by side, as again it's all supposition .
Personally - Ek does all I need it too - single doses - brilliant brewed - tasty espresso . Size and price and taste preference preclude it from being he choice or ideal for most .

#10: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

waroros wrote:I've tried all of them. Espresso from Peak is amazing. High extraction, with amazing body and mouthfeel. However, it has very high grind retention, and messy dosing.

Ek43 is more versatile, with low grind retention. However, with less body.
I don't think the peak is out yet, right? I presume you tried it at a convention or something? Do you recall the noise level, and how much louder or quieter is it from the K30?