Mahlkonig K30/Ditting 840 for filter or drip

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jb-0101

#1: Post by jb-0101 »

Hey all,

My grinder at work is currently a super jolly. I have the chance to get a Ditting 840 (same as Mahlkonig K30) 2nd at a great price, but will have to sell the super jolly.

I actually end up using the super jolly for aeropress almost all the time - so well and truly out of espresso range. I don't think it does a great job at this...

How good a job would the Ditting 840 (K30) do at coarser filter settings?? Anyone tried??

Thanks

Mark08859

#2: Post by Mark08859 »

The K30 is really meant as an espresso only grinder.

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by contraflow88 »

I used the k30 ES (stepped) for drip for a little while and I was pretty impressed. If your going to use for drip exclusively it's no problem. You just can't do both, the settings are to far apart.

jb-0101 (original poster)

#4: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Thanks - are you saying that to change from filter to espresso settings, you would need to remove the lid and screw the burr down a bit?

As in, you can't just use the range that is on the lid by default?

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by contraflow88 »

That is precisely what I'm saying. You will have to obviously explore what range works for your coffee but the burr setting will need to be unscrewed rather screwed. Then simply just reassemble and start testing!

jb-0101 (original poster)

#6: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Ok cool that makes sense - thanks for the tip!

So a couple more questions:

1. Does anyone think the grind quality and uniformity will be improved by going to a K30 from a Super Jolly? I haven't been very satisfied with the SJ for my filter coffees and am looking for an improvement.
2. How does the K30 compare with purpose built non-espresso grinders (eg the Ditting 804 or Baratza Vario filter) - when grinding for non-espresso? I'm not thinking about usability here - obviously the K30 is designed for espresso so will be a bit trickier to use for filter - but on grind quality for non-espresso?

Thanks!

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by contraflow88 »

In the past I have used a mini to try to see if it would be okay for drip and it wasn't particularly appealing in the cup. Now the SJ is a little different and I understand in terms of burr size and burr geometry. If it's not very good I'm not surprised, the SJ is an espresso grinder and it does that well. The K30 as I mentioned before is flexible in terms of what it can do, I don't think you will be disappointed with it.