Mahlkonig EK43, Monolith Flat, Lyn Weber EG-1?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SpecC

#1: Post by SpecC »

I have decided to upgrade my grinder to one of the above and am wondering if people with experience with both can share their recommendations. I mostly drink brewed(pourover, etc) coffee but plan to buy an espresso machine in the near future. I really like the size of the monolith and Eg1 as compared to the Ek43, but am mostly interested in performance for my needs.

Any advice is appreciated.

SAB

#2: Post by SAB »

Don't know of any one who has experience with both monolith flat and eg-1. Not sure about ek43 vs others. The flat and eg-1 have only been out a short time (both shipped toward second half of 2016, eg-1 in the last quarter), and I've not seen any direct comparisons.

SpecC (original poster)

#3: Post by SpecC (original poster) »

Thanks. Was hoping someone would come out of the woodwork. Atleast comparing the Ek43 vs either of the other 2.

If it is any help I am leaning towards the Monolith. :)

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#4: Post by mivanitsky »

SAB wrote:Don't know of any one who has experience with both monolith flat and eg-1. Not sure about ek43 vs others. The flat and eg-1 have only been out a short time (both shipped toward second half of 2016, eg-1 in the last quarter), and I've not seen any direct comparisons.
Mike McGuinness has an EG1 and has had both Monoliths. He temporarily is without one Monolith as he kindly sold it to shorten the wait for another on the list. He is the only one I know to have both. I know two others who purchased both, but returned the EG1. Only one of these two actually used it first, and found it too messy for his taste. He had no complaints about the quality of the espresso.

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee replying to mivanitsky »

Actually since I'd already been using and very happy with the Monolith Flat when I received the EG-1 I never opened the box and after a month sold it. While do have extensive use of EK43 at the Roastery for various gravity brewing methods and a bit of espresso play I prefer the Clima Pro for espresso (which has same burrs as Monolith flat of course) over EK43 but I have not played with Monolith Flat any gravity brewing at home. Why? I just don't do gravity brewing at home...
Mike McGinness

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

Compass Coffee wrote:(which has same burrs as Monolith flat of course)
Do you notice much difference between them in flavour?
Thanks!

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

To my knowledge the only head-to-head comparison of an EG-1 with an EK43 was by Tom, using an early beta-test model of the EG-1. His conclusions were quite favorable:
Tom Chips wrote: The shots pulled and tasted very similar, whether it was from the R120, the EKK43 or the EG-1. Very bright, very sweet, great flavor separation. All shots seemed to flow in a predictable manner as I have found with many flat burr grinders, where it seems to accelerate much faster than a conical does, towards the end of the shot.
The EG-1 is obviously much smaller and more counter-friendly than either the R120 or the EK43, and Tom also found it made single-dosing more straightforward. Issues of mess are greatly exaggerated, and seem to mostly arise from new users who haven't figured out how to set-up the rail system appropriately.

Terence also did a side-by-side comparison of the EG-1 with the Monolith Conical in this thread: KafaTek Monolith Conical and Lyn Weber EG-1 have arrived. So far as I know no one has yet put both a Monolith Flat and an EG-1 side-by-side and done serious comparisons of the two.

Having never used a Monolith, all I can add is that the shots I make using my EG-1 and the Strega match the best I've ever gotten when visiting high-end shops, including those who used EK43s and pressure-profiling machines. I also find the workflow very smooth and user-friendly.
LMWDP #435

SpecC (original poster)

#8: Post by SpecC (original poster) »

Compass Coffee wrote:Actually since I'd already been using and very happy with the Monolith Flat when I received the EG-1 I never opened the box and after a month sold it. While do have extensive use of EK43 at the Roastery for various gravity brewing methods and a bit of espresso play I prefer the Clima Pro for espresso (which has same burrs as Monolith flat of course) over EK43 but I have not played with Monolith Flat any gravity brewing at home. Why? I just don't do gravity brewing at home...
If you had to recommend one of the 3 for my intended use which would you go with? :)
[creative nickname] wrote:To my knowledge the only head-to-head comparison of an EG-1 with an EK43 was by Tom, using an early beta-test model of the EG-1. His conclusions were quite favorable:

The EG-1 is obviously much smaller and more counter-friendly than either the R120 or the EK43, and Tom also found it made single-dosing more straightforward. Issues of mess are greatly exaggerated, and seem to mostly arise from new users who haven't figured out how to set-up the rail system appropriately.

Terence also did a side-by-side comparison of the EG-1 with the Monolith Conical in this thread: KafaTek Monolith Conical and Lyn Weber EG-1 have arrived. So far as I know no one has yet put both a Monolith Flat and an EG-1 side-by-side and done serious comparisons of the two.

Having never used a Monolith, all I can add is that the shots I make using my EG-1 and the Strega match the best I've ever gotten when visiting high-end shops, including those who used EK43s and pressure-profiling machines. I also find the workflow very smooth and user-friendly.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

aecletec wrote:Do you notice much difference between them in flavour?
Thanks!
While I haven't done side by side comparison of Monolith Flat vs Mythos Clima Pro I can say with confidence there is not much difference though there is a difference with the slight edge going to the Slayer/Monolith pairing. How much can be attributed to slower rpm of the Monolith vs Mythos or Cyncra vs Slayer can't definitely say. I definitely can say that hopper fed there is no grinder I'd rather have than Mythos and for single dosing no grinder I'd rather have than Monolith.
Mike McGinness

aecletec

#10: Post by aecletec »

Thanks!