Lowish budget for espresso machine/grinder. Getting too frustrated.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lestro

#1: Post by lestro »

Hi,

quickly, I have a very low-end Krups machine right now. I'm getting too frustrated with inconsistent shots. Sometimes it's great, then I'll go get another bag of the same coffee, and I cannot get any decent shot for life.

Quick question, I found a deal of Silvia+Rocky for about $600. Is it worth it? Should I aim higher? I've been reading through lots of threads. I'm willing to spend around $500-600.
People mostly recommend HX machines that exceed $1,000 which is too high for my student budget. I do want to make the best possible coffee I can, but I don't think I can allow myself to spend that much money yet.
The lack of any definite answer frustrated me even more. Some say Silivia is good, others say there are lots of better options than that. I want to invest for a couple of years until I graduate, start adult life in my own place. Then I'll be able to get a $2,000 HX machine.

Lever machine? Probably a learning curve.
I will strongly consider buying a used machine if it's worth it. The only thing I'm concerned about is that we don't know how did those people use their machine. What if the boiler is at the verge of declining to
What I drink, is one or two coffees a day. Only cappuccinos. And only for myself.
I know my coffee preference is far from a true espresso appreciation. Espressos I've been getting around NY is so strong and bitter to me, I think I'll have to get my taste buds used to it slowly.

Right now, this machine and frustration starts to slowly kill my passion and love for amazing coffee so thank you for help!

beer&mathematics

#2: Post by beer&mathematics »

Short answer: well, duh, you are frustrated because your gear is not capable of making consistently good espresso. It's a tautology really.

If you want a pump machine, the rocky+silvia looks solid enough. Try to negotiate for 500 bucks...that seems reasonable to me. IMO, a lever doesn't have a long learning curve and is actually easier than entry level pump machines after a short learning period.

Here's the thing...grinder is the most important piece, period.

With a $600 budget, I'd buy either a Vario (refurbished with warranty<$400) or Super Jolly (350-400 used) and an entry level lever machine. Make excellent espresso for your low volume needs. If you find yourself obsessed with the great results, you can start saving for more serious gear.

Edit: you can look for a Gaggia Classic for $100 or so on CL. These are roughly equivalent to silvia but with some plastic parts and frees up your budget for a serious grinder. Then you can save for a serious machine if you find that you enjoy making killer espresso at home.
LMWDP #431

lestro (original poster)

#3: Post by lestro (original poster) »

Thank you!

That means there is no future with my hand grinder?

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM replying to lestro »

There are a few great hand grinders for espresso, and there are many more that won't do the job well. Which hand grinder do you have?

Generally for espresso good hand grinders are the Orphan Espresso Pharos or even the Lido 2. There are other brands that are good too.
LMWDP #445

beer&mathematics

#5: Post by beer&mathematics »

lestro wrote:Thank you!

That means there is no future with my hand grinder?
Well, you didn't specify which hand grinder you own. I made an assumption based on your machine, a Krups. So, do tell us which hand grinder you own and I can give you more specific information.

Let me add, I'm not sure if you know how to read the equipment list next to my name. But I only own hand-grinders: Pharos (for espresso), Lido 2 (for all brews except espresso and turkish), Sozen (for turkish). I also own a Hario Mini Slim which was my first grinder which I've used for espresso on both a pump machine (Saeco Via Venezia and also on lever machines).

I was suggesting the Vario or SJ as practical advice.
LMWDP #431

lestro (original poster)

#6: Post by lestro (original poster) »

I don't have a lot of room for a grinder. Although if necessary, I'd definitely fit it in here somehow.

I have Hario Skerton. I guess a $30 grinder could only hurt a better machine.

beer&mathematics

#7: Post by beer&mathematics »

That was exactly what I assumed you owned, or a Mini Slim. A Skerton is worse than the Mini Slim since it is even less adjustable for espresso.

You can buy a stabilizing kit from Orphan Espresso for it and it will make it a better brew grinder, but as an espresso grinder it will give you head aches.
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#8: Post by beer&mathematics »

lestro wrote:I don't have a lot of room for a grinder. Although if necessary, I'd definitely fit it in here somehow.
Well, then you might want to look into buying a Made by Knock Hausgrind or an Orphan Espresso Lido 2. Neither are available for immediate purchase so patience is required.

If you can't wait, you can't beat the Vario in size for an electric grinder. Alternatively, you can take your chances with ebay and vintage hand grinders. I can't help you here as I've been unlucky, so others can help you here.
LMWDP #431

lestro (original poster)

#9: Post by lestro (original poster) »

What do you think are advantages of a great hand grinder over a bigger, electric grinder?

In this case, I want to invest in a good grinder until I'm ready to spend a grand on a Mazzer or similar. I think one of the combos that you posted before would be a great idea.

beer&mathematics

#10: Post by beer&mathematics replying to lestro »

The first question is vague, I'm not sure what you are asking.

A grand on a Mazzer...hmm...that means either Minis or Majors...not worth it IMO.

This is certainly up for debate but the recommended electric grinders by budget groups are: Preciso (<300 range), Vario (<400 range), huge jump, Compak K10 (~1300 someone double check this)

Hand grinders: no consensus buy what you like: OE Pharos (245), Hausgrind (? look it up), HG-1 (~1k someone double check this)
LMWDP #431