Looking for small-ish grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JDW_ATX

#1: Post by JDW_ATX »

I've got a Rocket Giotto V3 on the way, and I'm looking to upgrade my grinder from my current Gaggia MDF. I'd like something that's at least somewhat small - nothing in the Super Jolly territory. A sleek/modern look would be ideal. I will primarily be using this for espresso, but it will also need to be able to grind for French press and Aeropress.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dpiette »

Small, attractive, unreliable:

My Beloved Pro-M!

I think they stopped making them because of quality control issues. I still have mine, and it works (mostly) OK!

I use it exclusively for espresso, but it is easy to change the grind. The quality of the grind is good.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Baratza Vario or Forte would probably fit the bill.
Scott
LMWDP #248

maxbmello

#4: Post by maxbmello »

Vario or Forte will be your best bet. I'll also be the first to say that you shouldn't plan on using the grinder for espresso AND press/filter. You're much better off getting separate grinders. It will save you a ton of hassle in the long run.

There have been many people including myself who wasted a lot of beans and experienced a lot of frustration when switching. Once you get your Vario set for espresso - LEAVE IT. Make minor adjustments, and you will be a happy customer.

Bob_M

#5: Post by Bob_M »

maxbmello wrote:Once you get your Vario set for espresso - LEAVE IT. Make minor adjustments, and you will be a happy customer.
I whole heartedly agree

brianl

#6: Post by brianl replying to Bob_M »

+2

The moment you leave the macro and come back, you're on a completely different setting ha. For French press get a Lido 2 or a Virtuoso.