Looking for quieter grinder.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
stuartmac

#1: Post by stuartmac »

I currently have a rr45, and i love it. However my new job has me traveling over an hour in the morning causing my routine to get pushed back starting in the wee hours of 6am. I live for my morning coffee but im not going to subject my daughter to the rossi grinding away at 6am.

I know the coffee shops have sound attenuated units, but i haven't come up with a model to be looking for. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

JakeMasterFlash

#2: Post by JakeMasterFlash »

I love my very very quiet Ceado E37S.

newrevolution123

#3: Post by newrevolution123 »

Hi,

Please search this forum for this recent topic/thread

Espresso Grinder Noise Study

You will get some elements of response. If would help knowing the noise levels of your current grinder. Download an app and measure the noise in db.
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

atao
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by atao »

When I needed to brew coffee while the rest of the family was still sleeping, I got in the practice of covering my vario with some large blankets. You can get things pretty quiet that way. It's low tech but I'm guessing that it'd be more effective (and cheaper!) than simply choosing a different grinder.

At another point I thought of those enclosures that they have at Jamba Juice, but I was too lazy to try doing things like that.

turtle

#5: Post by turtle »

either of these should be quiet enough (only the sound of crunching beans)

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

A hand grinder should be as quiet as it gets! I'd recommend a Lido 2 for brewing or an HG-1 for espresso.
LMWDP #435

brianl

#7: Post by brianl replying to [creative nickname] »

You'd be surprised. the HG One is suuuppper loud and the lido 2 isn't much quieter than my ceado e37s.

Quiet is all relative as grinders either fall into bassey or higher pitched sounds. although my ceado is around 80db, its low pitched so its less annoying. not sure how this corresponds to people sleeping though.

[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

I haven't used the ceado so I can't comment on that. But I definitely don't find my HG-one "super loud." All you hear is the sound of the beans breaking, plus a very light sound of the gears turning. It is quieter than any electric grinder I have ever used.
LMWDP #435

brianl

#9: Post by brianl replying to [creative nickname] »

My SO hated the HG One and vastly prefers the Ceado from a noise standpoint. She is very aloof when it comes to my coffeegear so it seems like a practical comparison for sleeping family members. :lol:

I definitely hear a lot more than the sound of the beans breaking. Maybe you prefer full city + roasts as its quieter for those. Not to mention the sound of the grinder flopping on the light roasts on the table ha.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by uscfroadie »

Having owned a Mini, SJ, Vario, Forte, HG One, Macap M4D, Pharos, numerous small hand grinders, and a K30, the K30 is easily the quietest of the bunch. Surprisingly the HG One was actually quite loud. The open throat of if does nothing to help quieten the grinding. Even when unloaded the meshing of the gears was anything but quiet. Great grinder, just anything but quiet.
Merle