Looking for a power timer for espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
autotrader

#1: Post by autotrader »

Can any one recommend a good timer to power on and off my machine at specific times?

Is there any surge issues to be aware of or any drawbacks associated with timers.

My machine in an ECM Technika 4

Thanks!

Bob_M

#2: Post by Bob_M »

It depends on what wattage or current draw your machine has...If less than 15 amps any hardware store...Ive bought a few from Harbor Freight...20 amp timers are not as common...but after a quick google search, I came up with these http://www.amazon.com/s/?keywords=20+amp+timer+switch

autotrader (original poster)

#3: Post by autotrader (original poster) »

Thanks bob,

I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be wired in, just plug and play.

I was looking at this one? Any thoughts? It should be a simple purchase but I'm always cautious with electrical stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT620- ... 004TGO6RY/

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

The timer you're looking at is designed to turn on the lights when you're not home in ways that would make a senior feel like (s)he would fool a burglar. Not that it wouldn't work, but there are better ways to go about running a coffee bench.

This one is, I think, a better choice. It's got four programmed and four "always on" receptacles. We've been using one for years on a bench which includes two huge, commercial grinders, a commercial espresso machine, an AC scale, and a kettle. Only the espresso machine and espresso grinder are plugged into programmed receptacles; the other stuff is always on -- which gives you some idea of the strip's flexibility.

Understanding the strip's instruction sheet is more difficult than actually programming the strip. If you get one, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

autotrader (original poster)

#5: Post by autotrader (original poster) »

That's perfect, thanks for the advice Rich

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

Use caution with these sorts of outlets. Look for NEMA approved/rated (whatever the nomenclatures) outlets. A power strip rated at 15 or 20 amps does NOT mean that any given outlet on the strip can handle that sort of current. This likely may just mean the total distributed load, and a more accurate rating of the power switch and cord more than a given outlet. My Chapter 132, "Electrical Safety and Consequences of Ignoring It" documents this very subject of power strips.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

danaleighton

#7: Post by danaleighton »

autotrader wrote:I was looking at this one? Any thoughts?
I have been running that timer since March 2013. It is adequate, and I haven't run into any trouble with running my Isomac and grinder on it. I find the programming semi-confusing (former software developer). I do like that I can program different schedules for weekdays/weekends/MWF/TR or on a day-by-day basis.
Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269

OldNuc

#8: Post by OldNuc »

Randy G. is correct, that 15a ratings total load on the strip and in most cases the outlets are not marked as to rating but are designed for 15a. Those things are the electrical equivalent of the duplex outlet with a 3 way octopus adapter in each socket with 6 extension cords connected, big fire hazard. There are 20A rated strips and timers and as long as you pay attention they are safe.

Remember, these types of devices function fine until they don't, usually with no warning.

The rating on the device is for all of it. If it is being sold in the US it is highly likely it has a rating sticker on it.

wrz0170

#9: Post by wrz0170 »

Hi there. I use a Wemo Insight to control my Rocket Giotto Evo2. Had it for a couple of months now and it's great. You can set up as many rules as you want. I have it set to turn on an hour before I wake up and shut off an hour after I leave and then turn on an hour before I get home. I also have weekend rules. If I am coming home early, I can easily turn it on via my iPhone to override a rule. Setup is all done through your smartphone.

Spitz.me

#10: Post by Spitz.me »

I also use a WEMO plugged into a power bar with the grinders and I have had this setup for about 3 months with no issues. Previously, I was running a NOMA timer, designed to be used for outdoor lighting, I think, and it worked just fine for years. It's interesting to hear about some issues people encounter using timers. I put very little thought into my purchase and experienced no issues.

I was at an espresso machine shop in Milton, Ontario and the owner was cautioning me about electric timers because they've been the culprit for P-stats acting abnormally. There was no explanation aside from the fact that removing the timer led to regular operation. What would be the issue in this instance??
LMWDP #670