Looking for a new grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
5seabees

#1: Post by 5seabees »

I've got a Cimbali Junior grinder which I've had for three years and its a great grinder but I'm looking for one that's stepless, doserless and has the same size burrs 64mm or bigger. I usually grind for two doubles a day and don't need the doser, but I got the grinder at a very good price.
Gary Bastiani

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

These would be considered comparable: Ceado, Mazzer, Quamar - Commercial Espresso Grinders

I think all have a doserless option for a fee. Of course, theres a never ending top end. At your volume, why not go for a non-standard grinder like a Pharos, Hg-One, or Versalab? Two are hand grinders, but you don't make enough drinks to make that a problem unless you just don't want to hand grind, which is understandable.

Baratza Vario is also a good choice, the burrs are smaller, but actually have a geometry that outperforms its size class, and is on par with the 64 mm grinders. Its not technically stepless, but the space between steps is so small theres never really a need to dial in between two steps.
LMWDP #366

therabidweasel

#3: Post by therabidweasel »

There is a group buy right now in the buy/sell for Mahlkoenig grinders and the K30 meets your requirements. The cost is a steal. I paid full price and consider it one of the best purchases I've made. Not only is the grind outstanding, but it is truly a joy to use.

A voodoo'd pharos is also a great product and yields great shots. I am not sure I have an opinion. On which yields better shots, but the convenience of the K30 cannot be beaten. As always YMMV.

Steve

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

5seabees wrote:I've got a Cimbali Junior grinder which I've had for three years and its a great grinder but I'm looking for one that's stepless, doserless and has the same size burrs 64mm or bigger. I usually grind for two doubles a day and don't need the doser, but I got the grinder at a very good price.
Just stepped up from a Cimbali grinder myself.

Higher end doserless grinders include electronic dosing/timers as well as some other electronic stuff. They run more expensive than their dosered, simpler twins. So, it's not whether you need the doser, but whether you need the electronics.

A few questions:
  • What's your price limit?
  • Single dose or hopper?
  • Flats or conicals -- got a preference?
  • Want a walk-up enough to pay for the electronics?
  • Espresso only? Or will you try grinding everything with the same grinder?
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator