Looking for a knockbox to match Faema Faemina

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Marcelnl

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

i am looking for a knockbox that fits the design of my Faemina, I did look around but haven't found much else than modern designs or drawer designs.
What I have in mind is something in chrome, rounded rather than square, or something real vintage that would fit the fifties design more than the current designs in plastic....anyone with suggestions where to look or what to look for (I'm not in a hurry)?
LMWDP #483

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I wonder if you could find a chrome ashtray of the right size to use as a base and then add a bar to it to make a matching knock box. If you find something commercially available that's a close fit, let us know, I'm in the same boat.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
Marcelnl (original poster)

#3: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Think that a chrome ashtray would be too thin walled, unless it was made to knock the ashes off the biggest Cubans :wink:

through another thread I revisited Francesco's website which shows a picture of a Faemina with what seems to be an original or vintage knockbox that suits the design....shoot, now I want one...and I reckon it will be difficult if possible at all to find one...
LMWDP #483

Paul_Pratt

#4: Post by Paul_Pratt »

There was an original on ebay a few weeks ago, I was bidding but it got taken down. So annoying when that happens, I was looking for an original to try and have some remade for the Faeminas.

#5: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

That sounds like a great plan, count me in...(if the price can be kept somewhat reasonable)
i asked Francesco if he knows where to find one... he may have one that perhaps could serve to take measures and details, I don't expect there are many out there nor that he is willing to part from it should he have one.
LMWDP #483

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I'd thought about a chromed artillery shell, but dismissed that idea. It would be nice to have a matching knockbox... and a naked portafilter too. :)
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#7: Post by beer&mathematics »

Paul_Pratt wrote:There was an original on ebay a few weeks ago, I was bidding but it got taken down. So annoying when that happens, I was looking for an original to try and have some remade for the Faeminas.
You are the best Paul :)
LMWDP #431

Advertisement

#8: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Yeah a naked portafilter would be nice too....

I am probably going to chop my current PF into a bottomless as it has a wood handle and I want the authentic one in bakelite but the original PF are quite rare and therefore expensive.

bTW: francesco informed me that the original knockboxes were an option when buying the Faemina, he rarely finds them...my hopes are for a decent replica.

Paul, I sent you a PM about the knockbox
LMWDP #483

cuppajoe

#9: Post by cuppajoe »

I too had asked Francesco about the availability of the original, apparently they're like hen's teeth. The Grindenstein doesn't look too out of place next to the Faemina.

Sorry to hear about the near hit Mr. Pratt, have never seen one come up in the states. Maybe you could talk Francesco into loaning one to you for a bit. He's got a foto on his site, so it might also be possible to use 3D modeling software to work up a digital wireframe.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

#10: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

I'm working with Francesco to get the remake going, think a knockbox is so simple we'll not need 3 D modeling or other modernisms :mrgreen:
A couple if good pictures and a brief drawing with measures should provide enough workable detail I guess.
LMWDP #483