Looking for a knockbox to match Faema Faemina - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Intrepid510

#11: Post by Intrepid510 »

The Made by Knock, conversion kits to make an espresso tin into a knock box might be a good idea. Pick out a classy looking Italian Espresso tin and viola!

http://www.madebyknock.com/knocktop.html

Marcelnl (original poster)

#12: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Funny idea, but seriously...have you looked at the Faemina and would you pair it with this? :shock:
Would have suited my gaggia classic quite well though.
LMWDP #483

Intrepid510

#13: Post by Intrepid510 »

Everyone has their own style, if I could find a nice Italian espresso tin the appropriate design I would. Certainly not Illy or Lavazza. Also depends on your kitchen, if it's track home marble with stainless steel appliances might not go there.

cuppajoe

#14: Post by cuppajoe »

Marcelnl wrote:I'm working with Francesco to get the remake going, think a knockbox is so simple we'll not need 3 D modeling or other modernisms :mrgreen:
A couple if good pictures and a brief drawing with measures should provide enough workable detail I guess.

Actually, that part of my reply was directed at Mr. Pratt, as he indicated he was thinking of producing a replication and I would be interested

If not wanting to make an accurate reproduction, it could probably be easily kludged with off the shelf bits. It's basically just a bowl with a bar across it.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

cuppajoe

#15: Post by cuppajoe »

Marcelnl wrote:Funny idea, but seriously...have you looked at the Faemina and would you pair it with this? :shock:
Would have suited my gaggia classic quite well though.
Would much rather have something that matched the original. I would also not be inclined to take a hole saw to my PF.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

#16: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

At the point I wrote that I thought I had the chance to by a PF with the brown bakelite handle which at some point in its life has been replaced by a wooden handle on mine, and I would probably hack the bottom off with a circular disc grinder :wink: ...but it turns out the seller only has the PF in the black bakelite from the later series.

i also learned there may be more than one version of the Faemina knockbox so I'm trying to get some pictures to see what the differences are (if any).

Agree that a knockbox is not that difficult, but it should look halfway decent imho or I would probably use an old tin and wait until I find the real deal...( wishful thinking perhaps)
LMWDP #483

aaronmaestri

#17: Post by aaronmaestri »

This is a bit of an old thread but I figured it might be worth adding that I have an original Faemina knock box.
If anyone wanted to make replicas i'd be happy to supply measurements and detailed photos to help you.
Interestingly, the casting is a bit rough and ready, nothing like the quality of the aluminium base on the Faemina. At first I thought i'd just got a dud or a badly made copy but i have seen two more and they were both the same.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#18: Post by cannonfodder »

Pauls original Bumper knock box is what I use and would like nice. Google Rocket Stainless Steel Knock Box and see if that does anything for you.
Dave Stephens

#19: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

That rocket comes close but still seems out of place to me, Am keeping my hopes up for a more vintage design but am unsure how serious Paul was about a reproduction.

Guess he is way too busy on his restoration project.
LMWDP #483

doubleOsoul

#20: Post by doubleOsoul »

aaronmaestri wrote:This is a bit of an old thread but I figured it might be worth adding that I have an original Faemina knock box.
Do you have pics posted here? I would love to see it.