Looking for grinder, max $200 budget [FOUND]

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

Hi,

So I am looking to upgrade my grinder from an Encore. My budget is really tight at <200 total (including shipping). I plan to buy a Pharos in a few months, since I need to save more than 260 for it (and it is not available atm). I've spent last few days reading the site for suggestions. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities:

Option 1: buy a 'do-it-all' grinder that is better than my Encore, sell Encore

Candidates: new: LIDO, used: Preciso, Virtuoso, Rocky doserless, others??

I realize a Virtuoso would not be much of an upgrade, so unless I can find one for <150 I would keep looking. I am interested in a Preciso, since it seems it would be best of both worlds with the micro-adjusting. I would use this for a few months while I save up to buy a Pharos. It is difficult to find one used for less than 200 (there is a shady Ebay vendor with 0 feedback selling one for 199 new with free shipping...I'll pass on that). Rocky doserless seems like an upgrade from my Encore, but I can't find a doserless for under 200.

I am really interested in the Lido (almost bought it last night at 3am while I couldn't sleep). I read the entire Lido owner's thread and really like the grinder. I think it will make much better PO, AP, FP than my current grinder but I can't find a consensus for espresso. If it can grind fine enough and consistently enough for espresso, and if it will yield better results than my Encore, then my search is over and I will buy one. That is, for a few months until I get a Pharos. After, it would be a PO,AP,FP grinder ;-)

Option 2: keep Encore for drip, AP, FP, buy used espresso only grinder.

Candidates: used: Rocky doser, Lelit PL53, Ascaso i2, others??

I need help here. There seems to be many options on the used market, but most are out of my budget. The consensus reading HB is buy a used "Super Jolly" or similar, which I cannot afford. I can find old Rocky's with doser for under 200, but based on reading HB it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade especially since I will need to keep my Encore for other brewing methods. I think the LeLit PL53 or Ascaso i2 would be great for espresso only grinders and fit within my budget (for ~165 on HB,CG) but the used ones I saw sold yesterday. :-(

Am I over thinking this? Should I just stay with Encore until I can spend the money on the Pharos? Should I sell the Encore and get a Lido?

Thanks!

Edit: 3/15 Found my grinder! See my latest comment 8)
LMWDP #431

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

If you plan to buy a pharos why do you need a cheap entry level grinder? If you want a bridge over grinder till you can get a pharos, just save your money and limp along till you can get it, then keep your encore for everything else.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

A Lido works for espresso for sure but you have lots of tedious turns of the handle. Pharos is much faster. I own both. If eBay deal includes buyer protection and you pay via PayPal you're covered aren't you?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#4: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

pacificmanitou wrote:If you plan to buy a pharos why do you need a cheap entry level grinder? If you want a bridge over grinder till you can get a pharos, just save your money and limp along till you can get it, then keep your encore for everything else.
I guess I want a temporary upgrade since the Encore is just not cutting it any longer as my tastes are evolving. So I am looking at the used market for something better right now to use for the next couple of months until I buy a Pharos.

I guess I was hoping for someone to talk me into buying a Lido for my purposes (temporary for espresso).
LMWDP #431

#5: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

drgary wrote:A Lido works for espresso for sure but you have lots of tedious turns of the handle.
I tried my Hario Slim for espresso, but dialing it in is a pita. It takes 3-5 minutes to grind enough for a shot on the Hario. Taste wise, I found, similar to the Encore so not worth the effort.

I think the Lido is much better from reading the owner's experience thread (say, 1 minute). The Pharos, ie the king, being fast (30 turns fast). What I was hoping to hear is that the Lido will translate to much better espresso in the cup.
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

I've never compared Lido to Hario but yes it takes about a minute and the espresso quality is excellent and easy to adjust. The grind on my Pharos takes 11 seconds and grind is gold standard.

This terrific ristretto was ground with a Lido:

Gary
LMWDP#308

#7: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Gary,

That looks mouth watering! :lol:
LMWDP #431

Advertisement
pacificmanitou

#8: Post by pacificmanitou »

You certainly can upgrade to a lido and I'm sure you can find a use for it later on. The only reason I can think of to have an espresso centric grinder in this range if you plan to own a Pharos is if you intend to grind a lot of coffee on occasion, like at a party. In those situations it's not practical to use a hand mill, no matter how good the grind is. I suggest you limp along with an encore till you can get a Pharos. If you intend to get a lido though, no reason not to get one now. What would you use it for once you get a Pharos?
LMWDP #366

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

pacificmanitou wrote:The only reason I can think of to have an espresso centric grinder in this range if you plan to own a Pharos is if you intend to grind a lot of coffee on occasion, like at a party. In those situations it's not practical to use a hand mill, no matter how good the grind is.
... unless you recruit your guests to grind their own. It's been known to happen. :idea:
Gary
LMWDP#308

pacificmanitou

#10: Post by pacificmanitou »

IF you can get them to do it. My friends will when we go camping or something, but in a holiday setting, nada.
LMWDP #366